mcmand wrote:Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous User wrote:mcmand wrote:Make sure you're still applying for other jobs while you wait. Each day, positions for 1L summers at other organizations and government agencies fill up. You're better off having competing offers if a 1L SA comes through than waiting until March, having nothing, and then working with the dregs for 1L summer.
Is there any point applying to positions you know will give offers well before firms do? Seems like a waste of time since I'd turn them down if I hadn't heard back from most of the firms.
The above poster has it right. You ask for flexibility. I'm telling you, you will be left holding the bag if you hold out for hearing back from firms.
The firms wait to say much of anything, even while they interview candidates. And they can wait an awful long time. If you're holding out through February, you should realize your chances are diminishing each day. I would find out about peers getting 1L SAs in January and February, and then one or two months later I would get a rejection letter.
You're better off having applied to something else you still want, and if you are in the situation where you are going to back out of your existing commitment for a 1L SA, you're better off than if you waited and had nothing.
I can't exactly accept a RA position with a prof or a spot in a clinic and then back out of it, don't think my school would be too happy about that.