1L SA Thread - C/O 2020 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA Thread - C/O 2020

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T14 - Any point of sending out apps before grades come out to companies if you're non-diverse, targeting a major market, and have a kinda shitty undergrad college and undergrad gpa?
I'll be the counterpoint to all the people saying yes here.

First of all, of course, if you want a 1L SA job and the only opportunity cost is the time spent doing the apps, by all means, send the apps.

That said: I was almost in the same situation as you. Got into a MVPD based on strong LSAT and great softs, I had a 3.4 GPA from a state school in undergrad. Applied to tons of 1L SA positions with a good cover letter. Got a few screeners in a secondary market (Indianapolis) and primary (DC/Chi), did mostly well and they said to get in touch when grades came out.

Grades came out (very late, like mid-January). My lowest grade was a 3.9. Forwarded grades along to everyone. Four firms called me back, and the message was summed up by one of them who literally said the words: "[Your school] screwed you with grades coming out this late, we would have obviously hired you with these grades but we're full." Two firms asked me "so.... what's with these two GPAs?" Everyone said to reapply next year, etc., and to call them if I still wanted to work there.

Everything worked out for me wonderfully (putting in my plug to be an RA here) but the lesson is: there's a "point" to applying (you might get lucky, you are laying groundwork for the next year, etc.), but be ready to be frustrated!

wilt

Silver

Post by wilt » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Does anyone have any advice for cover letters? I don't have any prior legal experience and my school's examples are pretty bare bones.

EminentDumain

New

Post by EminentDumain » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:14 pm

How many firms have y’all applied to? I’ve gone through a bunch of lists of firms (vault, firms that hired out of my school, etc) and found ~30 that seem like I have a chance (I’m also only applying in the NE). I don’t feel like that’s a lot but compared to the people I’ve talked to it is.

Also is the consensus that Jan 1 is the deadline?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:42 pm

EminentDumain wrote:How many firms have y’all applied to? I’ve gone through a bunch of lists of firms (vault, firms that hired out of my school, etc) and found ~30 that seem like I have a chance (I’m also only applying in the NE). I don’t feel like that’s a lot but compared to the people I’ve talked to it is.

Have applied to 12 firms so far. Targeting CA. I have looked at this list (https://www.nalp.org/memberdiversityinitiatives) and found others by googling. Not able to find the vault list you are referring to even though I am on this page: http://www.vault.com/law/law-firm-diversity-programs
Would appreciate if you could point me to it. Thanks.

EminentDumain

New

Post by EminentDumain » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
EminentDumain wrote:How many firms have y’all applied to? I’ve gone through a bunch of lists of firms (vault, firms that hired out of my school, etc) and found ~30 that seem like I have a chance (I’m also only applying in the NE). I don’t feel like that’s a lot but compared to the people I’ve talked to it is.

Have applied to 12 firms so far. Targeting CA. I have looked at this list (https://www.nalp.org/memberdiversityinitiatives) and found others by googling. Not able to find the vault list you are referring to even though I am on this page: http://www.vault.com/law/law-firm-diversity-programs
I just went down the vault 100 haha.

Edit- accidental anon, sorry.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I just went down the vault 100 haha.
Applied to about 25 because that was all I could find in my target market

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Go a rejection letter in the mail from Littler before grades came out (URM for diversity SA). Happy New Year!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T14 - Any point of sending out apps before grades come out to companies if you're non-diverse, targeting a major market, and have a kinda shitty undergrad college and undergrad gpa?

First of all, of course, if you want a 1L SA job and the only opportunity cost is the time spent doing the apps, by all means, send the apps.

That said: I was almost in the same situation as you. Got into a MVPD based on strong LSAT and great softs, I had a 3.4 GPA from a state school in undergrad. Applied to tons of 1L SA positions with a good cover letter. Got a few screeners in a secondary market (Indianapolis) and primary (DC/Chi), did mostly well and they said to get in touch when grades came out.

Grades came out (very late, like mid-January). My lowest grade was a 3.9. Forwarded grades along to everyone. Four firms called me back, and the message was summed up by one of them who literally said the words: "[Your school] screwed you with grades coming out this late, we would have obviously hired you with these grades but we're full." Two firms asked me "so.... what's with these two GPAs?" Everyone said to reapply next year, etc., and to call them if I still wanted to work there.

Everything worked out for me wonderfully (putting in my plug to be an RA here) but the lesson is: there's a "point" to applying (you might get lucky, you are laying groundwork for the next year, etc.), but be ready to be frustrated!
If this happens to me I will transfer based solely on principle, particularly because I am targeting Texas, which moves on a fast timeline. Don't advertise yourself as a national school if you are screwing my chances to go somewhere other than the Midwest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If this happens to me I will transfer based solely on principle, particularly because I am targeting Texas, which moves on a fast timeline. Don't advertise yourself as a national school if you are screwing my chances to go somewhere other than the Midwest.
Not sure how unusual this really is, our grades don't come out till late January.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:04 pm

wilt wrote:Does anyone have any advice for cover letters? I don't have any prior legal experience and my school's examples are pretty bare bones.
There's a large and diverse collection of cover letters on Harvard Law's career page - helped me out a ton.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:56 pm

A partner that interviewed me accidentally sent me an email about my application instead of replying to their recruiter. Fortunately, he had nice things to say :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:37 pm

How much of a disadvantage are we at if we're applying right before some of these deadlines? (for the 1L diversity SA positions)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much of a disadvantage are we at if we're applying right before some of these deadlines? (for the 1L diversity SA positions)

Curious about this too. Looks like interviews have started at some places but doesn't seem like too many offers have started going out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:01 pm

MoFo bay area ding within 7 days without grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Do you think it's worth it to fwd grades along before you have all of them? i only have 1 back so far, but it's an A and if they are evaluating people now, would it be a bad idea to just send that one grade and then an update when the rest come in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you think it's worth it to fwd grades along before you have all of them? i only have 1 back so far, but it's an A and if they are evaluating people now, would it be a bad idea to just send that one grade and then an update when the rest come in?
I wouldn't unless you know they give offers before grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MoFo bay area ding within 7 days without grades.
school/ties?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
school/ties?
lower t13/family

knnet

New

Post by knnet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:37 pm

I'm noticing that some 1L SA offers require SAs to return for the first 4 weeks of their 2L summer. How much does blocking off the first 4 weeks of the summer hurt your ability to land a 2L summer SA gig at another firm?
Last edited by knnet on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 pm

when exactly did you apply?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
when exactly did you apply?
12/25

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 pm

knnet wrote:I'm noticing that some 1L SA offers require SAs to return for the first 4 weeks of their 2L summer. How much does blocking off the first 4 weeks of the summer hurt your ability to land a 2L summer SA gig at another firm?
I think this happens often enough that big firms understand it is industry practice and do their best to accommodate. My friend just had to split her summer between two firms for this exact reason. She said it was annoying, but I don't think it hurt her chances seeing as she still ended up at her choice of firms, and has secured a job post-graduation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Crowell & Moring NY Ding. Applied shortly before NYE. CCN. Diverse but not URM. Nothing special otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Chill dude- UChicago 1L grades don't come out until mid-late January, and we send SAs to Texas every year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Chill dude- UChicago 1L grades don't come out until mid-late January, and we send SAs to Texas every year.
Not at UChicago, dude.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”