URM and 1L Internships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

URM and 1L Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:23 pm

I've been reading recently that URMS (I'm Mexican American) get a boost in 1L Internship job searching. Is this true, and if so, how significant is it?

I go to a school in the midwest. The school is tier 2 and my class is 7-9% "person of color". We do not have "diversity fairs" or anything like that.

Grades from the first semester will not be out for another 1-2 weeks, but I was curious if I should in some way market my background as a first gen college student and my Mexican-American background, or not.

Or if it would not make a big difference either way.
If I should, any advice on how to go about it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: URM and 1L Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:33 pm

You'll definitely get a boost if you apply for 1L SA's since a lot of those are diversity positions, but other than that I don't think you'll be hired just because you're a URM.

I've seen a few applications request a diversity statement, where you could discuss your background, but otherwise I wouldn't put that in your cover letter - that should focus on your interest in the position and your qualifications. If your background is particularly relevant (say, if you're applying to an org that helps immigrants, idk) then you could briefly discuss it.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been reading recently that URMS (I'm Mexican American) get a boost in 1L Internship job searching. Is this true, and if so, how significant is it?

I go to a school in the midwest. The school is tier 2 and my class is 7-9% "person of color". We do not have "diversity fairs" or anything like that.

Grades from the first semester will not be out for another 1-2 weeks, but I was curious if I should in some way market my background as a first gen college student and my Mexican-American background, or not.

Or if it would not make a big difference either way.
If I should, any advice on how to go about it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The boost mostly comes from positions that are explicitly listed as diversity positions.

strawberrieee

Postby strawberrieee » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:40 am

Definitely discuss it in your personal statement or diversity statement, if one is required for application. If you have any past experience or join any student organizations that are relevant (I know my law school has First Generation Law Student Association), you can list them in your resume or discuss them in your cover letter too. (Remember the focus for cover letter is the skills you possess. I wouldn't try to fit the names in cover letter unless the skills are relevant.)

Return to “Legal Employment”