Poll: Should I be pissed about my bonus? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I be pissed about my weak bonus?

Leaving the firm PLUS a slow year? Be glad you’re getting a bonus at all.
57%
You hit your billables, you should be pissed.
43%

Total votes: 77

PMan99

Bronze

Re: Poll: Should I be pissed about my bonus?

Post by PMan99 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:57 pm

lolwat wrote:
tyroneslothrop1 wrote:Really I think the reason OP should not have given such lengthy notice is the lack of reciprocity. OP behaved in a courteous manner to his coworkers and firm and was rewarded with half a bonus. Under the circumstances, if the partners you work for are going to permit you to be shafted, then giving the customary two weeks notice seems perfectly appropriate.
That's kind of the problem... in hindsight he shouldn't have given such lengthy notice, and I hope no one ever does again at that firm if that's the reason he got a 50% bonus. But at the time he did it, it was a reasonable move.
Associates should more or less always assume firms wlll screw then at any chance. Though I'd think most would want to keep a future client happy.

And yes, OP you should be pissed.

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:40 am

Surprised by the polls and some comments here. OP was dumb to give notice that early but he/she should absolutely also be pissed - firm screwed him/her. I dunno how “blackbox” the firm is about bonuses but associates who meet the billables should be given full bonus...

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:27 am

Sounds like something Jones day would do

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Surprised that earlier post went unchallenged

Market bonus is supposed to be part of your compensation for doing market level work (hitting hours). You deserve to get it if you hit hours whether or not you're being "retained".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:30 pm

I think you have a right to be pissed although my sympathy for you is somewhat limited since I think you kind of screwed yourself. I was literally in the EXACT same position as you (accepted job offer with a longtime client about a month before bonuses came out and had a slow billable year). However, unlike you I waited until the bonus was deposited into my bank account before I said a peep to anyone about leaving. I got a full bonus. Your firm screwed you, but I also don't totally understand why you just assumed they wouldn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:11 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Surprised that earlier post went unchallenged

Market bonus is supposed to be part of your compensation for doing market level work (hitting hours). You deserve to get it if you hit hours whether or not you're being "retained".
Maybe in theory. Do you honestly think partners with 1/4 of Cravath’s PPP give out Cravath-level bonuses (once again, the key word is “bonus”) to thank their associates for billing throughout the year? If so, that’s pretty naive.

Of course you absolutely DESERVE the bonus; you’ve worked hard! But that’s not the reason why Dechert is giving first-years 15k.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:35 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Surprised that earlier post went unchallenged

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

You're a big law attorney, right? Do you think you deserve to make two to three times as much as a mid-law lawyer who works as hard as you do? Or six times as much as a public interest lawyer? You're paid what you're paid not because you "deserve" it, but because that's how much the firm thinks it needs to pay you to keep you slaving away for them.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Maybe a better way to phrase it would be you're entitled to it as part of your compensation package for performing median work

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Maybe a better way to phrase it would be you're entitled to it as part of your compensation package for performing median work
But you aren’t tho. That’s the thing. That’s why people wait until the check clears.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:13 pm

cron1834 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:Maybe a better way to phrase it would be you're entitled to it as part of your compensation package for performing median work
But you aren’t tho. That’s the thing. That’s why people wait until the check clears.
I completely agree. In no way shape or form is a bonus the firm saying "thank you." Yes, you worked hard for that bonus and it's earned by past work, but the firm is only giving it to you to keep you happy/employed/working hard for the future. Like someone said earlier, it's meant as a retention tactic, which is why total compensation increases the most during the midlevel years between bonus and salary (because it's when you're most employable and most likely to look elsewhere for a job).

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:40 pm

agree to disagree, I guess.

you're not wrong that it's a retention measure, but the trigger is (in my view) tied to market performance in the preceding year, such that you've earned it when you perform at market. of course it was dumb for OP to give early notice, and of course the firm can do whatever it wants until the money hits the bank account. not disputing either of those.

i don't see it as a "thank you," i see it as part of the compensation you've "earned" when you work a certain amount of hours for the firm. just one man's view though.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Your view is not shared by the law or by most firms, it would appear. It would be nice if it was the case, though.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:22 pm

Lmao "your view is not shared by the law"

You a Harvard man?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:32 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Lmao "your view is not shared by the law"

You a Harvard man?
I just assume views attributed to "the law" actually refer to Judge Dredd.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:51 pm

jd20132013 wrote:You a Harvard man?
Sorry, OP, for antagonizing this dumbass and distracting from your thread. Sucks about your bonus.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”