Most prestigious positions following law school graduation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Most prestigious positions following law school graduation

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:58 am

I know the Vault as the most prestigious firms etc. but I wonder if there was an overall list of the most prestigious or competitive positions to obtain following 3L and getting your JD. This may or may not require bar admission and be a bit subjective, but just wanted to see different opinions or if a list existed anywhere. I heard of the WH internship on school forums being competitive so I interned in the WH one summer.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Most prestigious positions following law school graduation

Post by BigZuck » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:01 pm

I think being an Astronaut would be pretty prestigious. That's my answer. Astronaut.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:03 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think being an Astronaut would be pretty prestigious. That's my answer. Astronaut.
I don't mean to come off as a prick, just looking for maybe a comprehensive list of positions that would add value to a resume for someone not too sure about what niche they want to go into. Funny answer though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:12 pm

I think the joke is that there is no one track that is niche-independent. Working in the Washington State AG or SG's office is probably pretty prestigious for WA Big law firms, it won't move the needle for a PD office in Louisiana.

Moreover, "prestige" is just a metric to get where you want to go. It isn't (or should not be) a way of impressing...girls? Your mom? Your mom's friends?

So, if you tell us where you want to go, people can suggest stepping stones to get you there.

If, as I infer from your post, you don't know what you'd like to do, you can still narrow it down a bit. Litigation or Corporate? Do you have debt you need to pay off? What area of the country? Different things have different levels of prestige in different sectors (see if your corporate firm cares about a MJ clerkship in a flyover).

Sigh. To answer your question, I present a random 2L's definitive rankings of prestigious post-grad placements in ligation (because I have no idea what is prestigous outside of NYC Big law)

Litigation
1. SCOTUS Clerkship
2. Bristow Fellowship
3. DC, 2nd, 7th 9th COA
4. COA generally; top DCt clerkships (also, select State Supreme Court: like Goodwin Liu)
5. Skadden Fellow, EJW, etc
6. DOJ Honors

If this list is useless...well good. My impression is that if you are good enough for one of these things, you've already been asked if you want to apply.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Solicitor General of the United States

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:14 pm

How far along are you in law school/your legal practice? This question sounds incredibly 0Lish.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Law. Is. Not. Prestigious.

Why don't people understand this? There is no such thing as a prestigious lawyer. Any lawyer who is prestigious is prestigious for reasons other than being a lawyer.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:39 pm

I heard of the WH internship on school forums being competitive so I interned in the WH one summer.
cool story bro

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think the joke is that there is no one track that is niche-independent. Working in the Washington State AG or SG's office is probably pretty prestigious for WA Big law firms, it won't move the needle for a PD office in Louisiana.

Moreover, "prestige" is just a metric to get where you want to go. It isn't (or should not be) a way of impressing...girls? Your mom? Your mom's friends?

So, if you tell us where you want to go, people can suggest stepping stones to get you there.

If, as I infer from your post, you don't know what you'd like to do, you can still narrow it down a bit. Litigation or Corporate? Do you have debt you need to pay off? What area of the country? Different things have different levels of prestige in different sectors (see if your corporate firm cares about a MJ clerkship in a flyover).

Sigh. To answer your question, I present a random 2L's definitive rankings of prestigious post-grad placements in ligation (because I have no idea what is prestigous outside of NYC Big law)

Litigation
1. SCOTUS Clerkship
2. Bristow Fellowship
3. DC, 2nd, 7th 9th COA
4. COA generally; top DCt clerkships (also, select State Supreme Court: like Goodwin Liu)
6. DOJ Honors

If this list is useless...well good. My impression is that if you are good enough for one of these things, you've already been asked if you want to apply.
Why are you anon???
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:48 pm

TLS mod. They take like 40ish new SCOTUS clerks each year but only like 3 or 4 mods usually.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know the Vault as the most prestigious firms etc. but I wonder if there was an overall list of the most prestigious or competitive positions to obtain following 3L and getting your JD. This may or may not require bar admission and be a bit subjective, but just wanted to see different opinions or if a list existed anywhere. I heard of the WH internship on school forums being competitive so I interned in the WH one summer.
Why are you anon? So you could reveal being a white house intern?

Everything is competitive. Half of law school grads don't even have JD-required jobs. Some are more competitive than others but it ultimately is not a totally fair reflection on you if you get it or not, because many jobs right out of law school are based on grades, which after a certain amount of effort are based on some luck.

If your only goal is prestige, you will be very dissatisfied with this career. There is always someone doing something more prestigious or interesting than what you're doing. You will never be content, and some of these positions will leave you overworked and burned out (or worse), especially if you aren't genuinely interested in the work.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EliotAlderson

New

Post by EliotAlderson » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:55 pm

jingosaur wrote:TLS mod. They take like 40ish new SCOTUS clerks each year but only like 3 or 4 mods usually.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:59 pm

jingosaur wrote:TLS mod. They take like 40ish new SCOTUS clerks each year but only like 3 or 4 mods usually.
It's also a huge resume booster.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:44 pm

star fox wrote:Law. Is. Not. Prestigious.

Why don't people understand this? There is no such thing as a prestigious lawyer. Any lawyer who is prestigious is prestigious for reasons other than being a lawyer.
Wachtell seems pretty prestigious, at least among the right crowd.

Animosity

New

Post by Animosity » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Here is a comprehensive list of post-grad legal positions, and their relative prestige:

1. The thing that you are doing.
2. That thing that the top of the class is doing.
3. Those things that people at better law schools are doing.
4. Whatever things people at worse law schools do.
5. That thing that guy you hate is doing.

Best of luck. Nothing brings fulfillment and happiness like chasing prestige.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:58 pm

This is clearly an 0L question and is in the wrong place. Mods?
Anonymous User wrote: 1. SCOTUS Clerkship
2. Bristow Fellowship
3. DC, 2nd, 7th 9th COA
6. DOJ Honors
Also, this is wrong. As far as I'm aware, SCOTUS does not take people straight out of law school. They take clerks from feeder judges like Garland. Your #3 list of CoAs are wrong because not all judges in a circuit are equal. Wilkinson on the 4th circuit is probably more "prestigious" than most, if not all, 7th circuit judges. DOJ Honors "prestige" also depends heavily on the component. I just wanted to clarify this for other law students who are reading this thread and think that the list is somehow accurate.

As for OP, the only thing you need to worry about for "adding value" to your resume is good grades.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:21 pm

UVA2B wrote:How far along are you in law school/your legal practice? This question sounds incredibly 0Lish.
Sadly, not a 0L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I guess there would have been a time in my top-law-schools.com where I wondered a similar question, although it was probably couched more in "what can I do now to position myself better for the rest of my career" rather than a laser-focus on "prestige."

Vault sucks. So does every other ranking. Go look at Chambers if you want a slightly better indication of prestige; you'll be able to narrow down firm "prestige" by things like geographical area so you aren't comparing NY firms with CA firms. Choose from there.
Litigation
1. SCOTUS Clerkship
2. Bristow Fellowship
3. DC, 2nd, 7th 9th COA
6. DOJ Honors
I think this is an okay answer in a very general vacuum (although I don't know anything about #5-6). There are tons of other things too, though, like CA AG honors program (including a SG one) that would be really great in CA, but probably more limited use elsewhere. I'll also acknowledge PeanutsNJam is correct about the problems he identified with this very general ranking... but then if we went through all the nuances and specific judges in other circuits that are more prestigious as other judges in the 9th Circuit etc., then it would probably be pages long.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Tagging so I can find out the answer to these burning questions.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I think being an Astronaut would be pretty prestigious. That's my answer. Astronaut.
I don't mean to come off as a prick, just looking for maybe a comprehensive list of positions that would add value to a resume for someone not too sure about what niche they want to go into. Funny answer though
You sound like a prick, douche, a-hole. Get over yourself. No one cares about prestige. What a pathetic life. If you worked at the white house, then go ask Obama. And the white house is not that impressive, Omarosa did the same thing twice.

joanneofarc

New

Post by joanneofarc » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:08 pm

SCOTUS clerk is the most prestigious gig you can land out of law school. In my experience lawyers don’t care about political positions, except judgeships solicitor general jobs, and being appointed US attorney. You can’t get any of those as a new grad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Burger flipper, duh!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 am

Stop chasing prestige for prestige sake.

In the end, nobody cares.

I hear all these people want to do appellate clerkships, but want to be AUSAs. Why not just do a district court clerkship then? "Well well, its not as prestigious" like what? lol.

People want to go to Wachtell because they believe that magical prestige of being an associate there says something about them. Go to Wachtell if you want to work harder than your peers and make more money than your peers. Don't go because it is prestigious. Then if they don't get Wachtell, its like "I have to get Cravath." Really? Why? There's literally 20-30 other firms where you make the same money, work on the same matters, and have the same exit options.

People are chasing shit they don't want to do because of what it signals to their peers (who in general, don't care). Stop. Figure out what will make you happy and then chase that.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:35 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
star fox wrote:Law. Is. Not. Prestigious.

Wachtell seems pretty prestigious, at least among the right crowd.
Anything can prestigious among the right crowd.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
It's also a huge resume booster.
And pays more than a lot of law school grads are otherwise making.
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”