Confused after my interview for an Entry-level Associate/Law Clerk position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Confused after my interview for an Entry-level Associate/Law Clerk position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:00 pm

We hit it off so well in the interview, she brought up salary at the end and it was more than acceptable for my position being I'm only pending admission and not officially admitted yet. It's also a change from the billable hour structure I was use too and we just have to write motions and get through the case loan we're assigned (I guess this is similar to an in-house structure). Insurance defense isn't glamorous but it's a job. I thanked her in a follow-up e-mail but she kept reminding me that I may need to return for a second interview and need to take a drug test. It feels like I officially accepted it, but after that response it's almost like she became skeptical or it's official after the drug test etc. I guess her telling me a start date and salary made it really sound like I had it. She said I should hear from her by the end of the year (next week), so I won't go out of my way to send anymore e-mails. Any advice on how to go about this situation, I'd appreciate it. I did tell her I have another interview for the same position next Wednesday at a different firm and I tried to cancel that and just accept this offer because I liked the atmosphere that much, but it probably scared her that I wouldn't even go to my next interview before making a decision. Sitting in between graduation and before admission is a real pain. Thank you!

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Re: Confused after my interview for an Entry-level Associate/Law Clerk position

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:12 pm

It does not sound like you were offered a job. Interviewers sometimes reference salary and start date during interviews. By itself, it does not mean you have a job offer. Did she say the equivalent of: we are offering you the position?

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Yeah, she probably mentioned those things to see if it’s worth considering you further, i.e. are you potentially available when they need you at a price acceptable to you and her. Otherwise, a drug test and further interviews are a waste of time. By your description, this doesn’t sound like a job offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:20 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:It does not sound like you were offered a job. Interviewers sometimes reference salary and start date during interviews. By itself, it does not mean you have a job offer. Did she say the equivalent of: we are offering you the position?

Any tips to secure an offer after a great interview? She knows I have another next week, it's probably best I don't reach out until the end of next week after my next one right? Thanks for the advice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:20 pm

mjb447 wrote:Yeah, she probably mentioned those things to see if it’s worth considering you further, i.e. are you potentially available when they need you at a price acceptable to you and her. Otherwise, a drug test and further interviews are a waste of time. By your description, this doesn’t sound like a job offer.

Any tips to secure an offer after a great interview? She knows I have another next week, it's probably best I don't reach out until the end of next week after my next one right? Thanks for the advice

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Stop freaking out. Don't send her any additional communications. Do well in your interview next week. Get an offer from them, then politely inform your prior intervewor of your offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:45 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:Stop freaking out. Don't send her any additional communications. Do well in your interview next week. Get an offer from them, then politely inform your prior intervewor of your offer.

Ok thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment?