3L w/ In-House vs. Big Law Opportunity- Help Plz!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: 3L w/ In-House vs. Big Law Opportunity- Help Plz!

Postby foregetaboutdre » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi! I'm a graduating 3L in NYC. I currently have two opportunties that I'd love some input on.

I had an in-house summer associate position through which I received a long term offer. However, during the summer I found the work unfufilling and the lifestyle to be boring. Fast track to 3L OCI, I was able to land a big law position.

While I believe that the partner track is best for me and I would gain great experience, I'd still like to know if I'd be missing out on something by not going in-house. The numbers are as follows:

$140K, hefty signing bonus, end of year bonus $20K
9-5 hours, 30 vacation days, 401K & health insurance
Edit: incremental increase in salary & position (AVP --> VP --> MD --> ED)

Big Law:
$175K, no signing bonus, but Bar fees paid for, 1st year bonus likely $15K
big law hours, 21 vacation days, 401K & health insurance
Edit: normal big law ladder

As someone who is going into private practice....you are insane if you turn down the in-house job IMO.

Law firm work (even this is debatable) may be more fun, but it wreaks havoc on your personal life (as far as I can tell). I've heard stories of having to cancel vacations, having difficulty dating/having to cancel dates, not being able to exercise, and not being able to have any meaningful hobbies.

That in-house gig comes with some serious cash as well...

Postby Yugihoe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where the hell are these positions and where do I find them? :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Finishing up stub year now and if I had the chance I would jump on that job and not look back. Don’t underestimate the value of your free time.

Return to “Legal Employment”