How common is it to make up your own writing sample for a niche practice area?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How common is it to make up your own writing sample for a niche practice area?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:01 am

Job posting wants a writing sample for a niche area that most attorneys have likely never written about. In the past I have always used stuff I did in law school and then eventually moved on to motions that I drafted which were public record. Do you seriously just make up a legal issue and then analyze it? Seems odd to me, but maybe I have been uninformed this whole time.

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: How common is it to make up your own writing sample for a niche practice area?

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:07 am

A writing sample usually means just that--a sample. They likely just want to see how well you write, which should transcend practice areas. Making up something specifically for that practice area where attorneys aren't likely to have such samples may raise some red flags and look like you're trying to pass off work that is disingenuous.

Anonymous User

Re: How common is it to make up your own writing sample for a niche practice area?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 am

But the job post says a writing sample involving issues in this niche area is REQUIRED. This is why I am at a loss, it feels disingenuous to me too.

Normally I just see "preferred" for niche areas.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:44 am

I just don't see how you could make up a writing sample. A motion to dismiss premised on fake facts? Maybe they're looking for something more scholarly, like an article? It's hard to say without knowing more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:55 am

It's transactional so I just assumed I would make up a fake internal research memorandum with hypothetical facts that are currently being discussed in that particular industry.

Return to “Legal Employment�