Transactional Prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transactional Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Hey guys, recent grad at mid-tier California school looking for career in transactional practice, but also open to corporate, other. I didn't have the grades for biglaw obviously, so what are realistic prospects of working at transactional boutique then transferring to bigger firm doing similar transactional work? The role would have me doing a lot of corporate work, smaller-midsize companies and banks, plus some entertainment work, but the salary is not ideal, worth it for the experience and reassess in year or two or keep the search going? I'm thinking it's pretty rare to get substantive transactional experience right out of school if its not biglaw and I should take it. Thanks!

SFSpartan

Silver

Re: Transactional Prospects

Postby SFSpartan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Depends on the boutique and what you'll be working on. Some transactional boutiques do biglaw quality work, and some do high volume, simplistic work. FWIW, I started in a midlaw firm doing corporate and entertainment and moved to a high-end boutique where I mostly do EC/VC work (though I have a couple of my own entertainment matters). Happy to give more advice, anecdotes, etc. via PM.

Return to “Legal Employment�