Prescription stimulants in the legal industry

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Prescription stimulants in the legal industry

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm diagnosed ADHD and I saw during law school a lot of others that didn't have diagnosis and had adderall prescriptions or dexedrine/vyvanse. During my 1L SA I needed my prescription but it affected my personality negatively and I'm trying to work with my doctor for better medication to deal with my anxiety/depression along with focus without being a robot. I know our industry is prone to depression and hard drugs like cocaine, but I wonder how common it is for people to be on Adderall and other prescription stimulants ?

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Prescription stimulants in the legal industry

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Instead of worrying about what medications other people take, you should probably just worry about your own mental health, which is far more important than recreational drugs your coworkers may or may not be taking.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:36 pm

I would say more common than the population at large.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:15 pm

I worked with a guy who had to quit biglaw after heavily abusing aderall. He had an Rx, but was taking like 4xs to dosage and burned himself out. If you believe in nootropics there are more subtle stimulants than getting into hard/ very illegal drugs. If you have ADHD, I'd work closely with your doctor.

FWIW: I occasionally use modafinil/provigil, but at least for me, it's been non-addictive, easy to cycle and save it for rougher patches.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:29 pm

I also use modafinil as a focus improvement tool. Rising second-year in lit. It is stunningly good for staying focused and energized on those days where you are just boned from 8am-10pm (or later). Have also found it non-addictive and save it for my worst days; I end up taking it 0-2 times a week (2-5 times a month) depending on how things are going. Feel like I would've killed law school if I'd discovered it then.

Protip for it, though: do not discount the diuretic aspect. Drink fucktons of water. If I drink less than a gallon on a moda day my head will just be pounding by 5pm.

Don't know whether anyone else at my firm does it but would be surprised if there were not adderall users, at least. But not exactly great lunchtime conversation to chat about which gray market stimulants we're using.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:32 pm

NOT asking for personal benefit (why I’m not anon!) and not asking judgmentally, just curious: can you get an rx for modafinil, like for adderall?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:NOT asking for personal benefit (why I’m not anon!) and not asking judgmentally, just curious: can you get an rx for modafinil, like for adderall?

Yes, but some insurance companies won't approve the prescription.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:NOT asking for personal benefit (why I’m not anon!) and not asking judgmentally, just curious: can you get an rx for modafinil, like for adderall?

Got it. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Got it. Thanks.

There’s also armodafinil, which is branded as Nuvigil. I’m not sure what the difference is between the two but Nuvigil is definitely the most natural feeling of alertness I’ve experienced with an upper, and it’s very consistent with no down period after it wears off. Can also be pricy if insurance doesn’t approve.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:46 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Got it. Thanks.

My general practitioner said he'd give me an Rx for it when I had a trial etc. I've also found it pretty easy to find online without going all dark web. It's available without a prescription in most of the rest of the world.

Return to “Legal Employment?