The Definitive Thread on NC Law Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Definitive Thread on NC Law Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Probably already posted, but Womble is $155 (1900 hours for bonus, 1850 for good standing) in NC - https://abovethelaw.com/2016/09/the-big ... ead-south/ - like many Southern firms, the raises are not lockstep and bonuses/raises are well below major markets... it's also getting harder and harder to make equity partner and non-equity does not seem to be a huge pay raise.

Like many in NC, I started in a major market. Contrary to some other posters, I think that there is a huge difference in the training, quality and type of work done by the average local NC firms (Robinson, Womble, Wyrick, Smith Anderson, Parker Poe, etc.) vs. the average major market vault-ranked firms. But, if you want to be in NC and do not want to be in Charlotte, then a local firm is your best bet.
What makes you say there is a huge difference in the quality & type of work done by NC firms vs. vault firms? My general impression is that working in NC, while your work may not be as 'sophisticated' as some of the vault firms claim their work to be, you would get more substantive work in your early years compared to the tasks you'd do as a first year in biglaw and that the NC firms would invest more in training as they expect you to stay longer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Probably already posted, but Womble is $155 (1900 hours for bonus, 1850 for good standing) in NC - https://abovethelaw.com/2016/09/the-big ... ead-south/ - like many Southern firms, the raises are not lockstep and bonuses/raises are well below major markets... it's also getting harder and harder to make equity partner and non-equity does not seem to be a huge pay raise.

Like many in NC, I started in a major market. Contrary to some other posters, I think that there is a huge difference in the training, quality and type of work done by the average local NC firms (Robinson, Womble, Wyrick, Smith Anderson, Parker Poe, etc.) vs. the average major market vault-ranked firms. But, if you want to be in NC and do not want to be in Charlotte, then a local firm is your best bet.
What makes you say there is a huge difference in the quality & type of work done by NC firms vs. vault firms? My general impression is that working in NC, while your work may not be as 'sophisticated' as some of the vault firms claim their work to be, you would get more substantive work in your early years compared to the tasks you'd do as a first year in biglaw and that the NC firms would invest more in training as they expect you to stay longer.
From a corporate perspective: fewer resources to dedicate to knowledge management; less-to-no emphasis on formal in-house training; and less precedent/experience to pull upon. First couple of years, you will get more substantive experience (assuming the work is there), but there's also a lower plateau--*in my experience, ymmv.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:55 pm

anyone here have any info on Everett Gaskins Hancock? small law firm, but looks like that pay (above?) big law market

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone here have any info on Everett Gaskins Hancock? small law firm, but looks like that pay (above?) big law market
As a guess - nowhere close to big law market or big law. They have one associate who graduated from law school in 2012 and has been at EGH for a couple years from her bio. They have 8 total attorneys. They only hire 1Ls (1-2 per year from local schools, and not particularly grade sensitive) over the summer because they don't give offers from the summer program (so they want you to work elsewhere 2L summer, though if they are looking to hire an associate they say on their site they often look first to former 1L summers). I think it's a better than normal, small, general practice including personal injury NC firm and the named partners are impressive in their own ways and it's downtown which is nice, but that's it. TO afford the rent downtown, I imagine they're pretty successful.

I see on that one site that first year associates supposedly make over 150k, with an 8k bonus. Seems really doubtful, but who knows. Since it seems like they haven't had a first year associate since who knows when, it seems like difficult information to count on.

https://www.lawcrossing.com/lawfirmprof ... y-benefits

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone here have any info on Everett Gaskins Hancock? small law firm, but looks like that pay (above?) big law market
As a guess - nowhere close to big law market or big law. They have one associate who graduated from law school in 2012 and has been at EGH for a couple years from her bio. They have 8 total attorneys. They only hire 1Ls (1-2 per year from local schools, and not particularly grade sensitive) over the summer because they don't give offers from the summer program (so they want you to work elsewhere 2L summer, though if they are looking to hire an associate they say on their site they often look first to former 1L summers). I think it's a better than normal, small, general practice including personal injury NC firm and the named partners are impressive in their own ways and it's downtown which is nice, but that's it. TO afford the rent downtown, I imagine they're pretty successful.

I see on that one site that first year associates supposedly make over 150k, with an 8k bonus. Seems really doubtful, but who knows. Since it seems like they haven't had a first year associate since who knows when, it seems like difficult information to count on.

they have a paid 1L summer associate program, do you think T13 1Ls would be better off elsewhere?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

they have a paid 1L summer associate program, do you think T13 1Ls would be better off elsewhere?
Can't really say since that sort of determination is so relative to someone's other opportunities. On its own, I think it'd be a quality outcome for a 1L at a good school that is interested in working at a firm/in Raleigh, especially because being paid as a 1L is nice. It's certainly still a difficult position to get since it's paid firm work in a desirable but small market. I think it'd help with firm interviews down the road, even for much larger firms. I don't think you'd stand a chance at getting the 1-2 spots as a T13 1L without ties regardless of grades, but that's another guess (mostly because since they aren't hiring, they don't need to care about the prestige). Though since you know about a tiny Raleigh firm maybe you have ties. I'd say for most people who would otherwise be doing non-paid work, unless that non-paid work is in a different area of interest or has some chance of other benefit like a job down the line, then sure this seems like a great opportunity - go for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can't really say since that sort of determination is so relative to someone's other opportunities. On its own, I think it'd be a quality outcome for a 1L at a good school that is interested in working at a firm/in Raleigh, especially because being paid as a 1L is nice. It's certainly still a difficult position to get since it's paid firm work in a desirable but small market. I think it'd help with firm interviews down the road, even for much larger firms. I don't think you'd stand a chance at getting the 1-2 spots as a T13 1L without ties regardless of grades, but that's another guess (mostly because since they aren't hiring, they don't need to care about the prestige). Though since you know about a tiny Raleigh firm maybe you have ties. I'd say for most people who would otherwise be doing non-paid work, unless that non-paid work is in a different area of interest or has some chance of other benefit like a job down the line, then sure this seems like a great opportunity - go for it.
thanks for the advice!

FlapJackJim

New

Post by FlapJackJim » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:54 am

Long time lurker, first time poster as I'm trying to figure out some information on law firms for summer jobs. When researching Robinson Bradshaw I came across a post introducing the 10 new associates that joined the firm this past year, and it raised a question -- is this firm really that selective? The credentials of the 10 attorneys listed I imagine make it the most selective firm in the south. It's a little intimidating as I thought it may be a good firm to apply to, and now I'm thinking I have no shot. Are the other NC firms like this too?

Here are a summary of the credentials of the 10:

1. Top 10 school, 11th Circuit clerkship
2. Yale graduate
3. Top 20 school, 6th Circuit clerkship, Law Review
4. Top 10 school, summa graduate
5. Top 30 school, summa graduate, 4th Circuit clerkship, Law Review
6. Top 30 school, magna graduate, Law Review
7. Top 30 school, magna graduate
8. Top 100 school, summa graduate, Law Review
9. Top 30 school, magna graduate
10. Top 100 school, summa graduate, Law Review

That's a lot of summa and court of appeal clerkships. Is that an aberrational year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 am

FlapJackJim wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster as I'm trying to figure out some information on law firms for summer jobs. When researching Robinson Bradshaw I came across a post introducing the 10 new associates that joined the firm this past year, and it raised a question -- is this firm really that selective? The credentials of the 10 attorneys listed I imagine make it the most selective firm in the south. It's a little intimidating as I thought it may be a good firm to apply to, and now I'm thinking I have no shot. Are the other NC firms like this too?

2. Yale graduate

That's a lot of summa and court of appeal clerkships. Is that an aberrational year?
It’s that selective IMO, but that’s just from knowing who they called back from my school and its general reputation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:33 pm

any tips on interviewing with Charlotte firms (1L)?

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any tips on interviewing with Charlotte firms (1L)?
Emphasize that Charlotte is your top choice for whatever reason, and that if you are applying elsewhere it's as a backup plan due to how hard to get/small in size you know the Charlotte market is.

They don't hire a lot of people - they don't want to waste a summer on you.

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 pm

FlapJackJim wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster as I'm trying to figure out some information on law firms for summer jobs. When researching Robinson Bradshaw I came across a post introducing the 10 new associates that joined the firm this past year, and it raised a question -- is this firm really that selective? The credentials of the 10 attorneys listed I imagine make it the most selective firm in the south. It's a little intimidating as I thought it may be a good firm to apply to, and now I'm thinking I have no shot. Are the other NC firms like this too?

2. Yale graduate

Definitely not an aberration. I know people in that class and next year's.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:50 pm

how much do partners here make?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 am

thoughts on Parker Poe?

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Started thread with same title on top-law-schools.com in General Legal Employment forum - past posters please transition your contribution over if you would! Future posters check it out!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:53 pm

what is the salary at Smith Moore Leatherwood and what are the hours like?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 am

Does anyone have any insight into Teague Campbell?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight into Teague Campbell?
Believe it is mostly insurance defense for labor & employment. Can't offer any insight other than that. Sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:29 pm

deadpanic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight into Teague Campbell?
Believe it is mostly insurance defense for labor & employment. Can't offer any insight other than that. Sorry.
Appreciate the reply. If anyone has info about culture/compensation please post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:20 pm

anyone know how long after CBs Mayer Brown gives dings/offers?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Does anyone know the salary scale for NC firms like RBH, Smith Anderson, or MVA? I know RBH and MVA start at 150 and Smith Anderson starts at 141, but do they have 5k increases or is it even less?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the salary scale for NC firms like RBH, Smith Anderson, or MVA? I know RBH and MVA start at 150 and Smith Anderson starts at 141, but do they have 5k increases or is it even less?
From earlier in the thread, SA starts at 150 though it is 141+9. That's separate from the bonuses there. I'm also interested in what the increases are - I've never been able to run that down.

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the salary scale for NC firms like RBH, Smith Anderson, or MVA? I know RBH and MVA start at 150 and Smith Anderson starts at 141, but do they have 5k increases or is it even less?
From earlier in the thread, SA starts at 150 though it is 141+9. That's separate from the bonuses there. I'm also interested in what the increases are - I've never been able to run that down.
accidental anon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:12 pm

HangingAround wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
accidental anon
Do you (or anyone) know if the $9k profit share is guaranteed every year or if it’s a more of a gimmick for it to look like $150 for first years?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”