Possible to lateral from large insurance defense firm to biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Possible to lateral from large insurance defense firm to biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm

i hate working on cases involving insurance carriers for all the same reasons already rehashed in this forum. i really would like to switch, but i honestly don't know if I am marketable enough for biglaw or i should just stay put and grind it out until spat out. i am a class of 2015 from a top 25 UG and Law School. Have 14 months (little over a yr) of large insurance defense firm in a major market. I would ideally like to have 2 years under my belt to show i am not a job hopper, but i am completely unmotivated right now. Would like to make this change sooner and start fresh next year. Can anybody give me some insight into how the legal market is right now? I am mainly looking in So Cal area. Thank you.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

sparty99

Gold

Re: Possible to lateral from large insurance defense firm to biglaw?

Post by sparty99 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:i hate working on cases involving insurance carriers for all the same reasons already rehashed in this forum. i really would like to switch, but i honestly don't know if I am marketable enough for biglaw or i should just stay put and grind it out until spat out. i am a class of 2015 from a top 25 UG and Law School. Have 1.5 months of large insurance defense firm in a major market. I would ideally like to have 2 years under my belt to show i am not a job hopper, but i am completely unmotivated right now. Would like to make this change sooner and start fresh next year. Can anybody give me some insight into how the legal market is right now? I am mainly looking in So Cal area. Thank you.
Yes.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:08 pm

Lateral now that the market is hot... I've even seen my firm interviewing a ton and they usually dont hire laterals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Op here. I mean 1.5 yrs not month.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 am

Based on what I know about ID, I don't think any biglaw firm is gonna see you as a flight risk for wanting to get out of it.

I am talking out of my ass though, zero biglaw experience here. I just know ID sucks hard (plaintiffs attorney).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Op here. Been using recruiters, and the firm recommended to me are all better paying smaller firms than mine, but no bigname bl. Not cool so far.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here. Been using recruiters, and the firm recommended to me are all better paying smaller firms than mine, but no bigname bl. Not cool so far.
You'll probably have to take matters into your own hands if you're targeting biglaw and not other ID firms or whatever. Your recruiters might be pigeon holing you into that

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Recruiters looking for BL candidates usually only tap current BL associates, unless there's a BL firm with a niche practice that might need to look outside BL. I know this from experience.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here. Been using recruiters, and the firm recommended to me are all better paying smaller firms than mine, but no bigname bl. Not cool so far.
You are probably working with the wrong recruiters or should apply to firms you see on the website. You can get biglaw from insurance defense. And I would possibly, firstly, don't make your resume say that you work for an insurance defense firm. If you have decent grades, you should be a candidate. I have a bad grades, but still received big law interviews by simply applying directly. I would definitely wait your transfer out until you find a good, respectable firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Consider applying directly to firms, and consider midlaw. I know Procopio hires people with ID backgrounds into non-ID practice groups. They also don't like working with recruiters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”