Looking for a job during clerkship with an accepted offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Looking for a job during clerkship with an accepted offer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello all,

I am currently in a clerkship and I have already accepted an offer from my summer associate position. While I had made the choice, the firm was a good choice for me, but recent developments have led me to be disappointed in the firm's policy choices. How would one approach looking for a new firm (maybe) during clerkship without having the old firm find out about my search and if I were to receive an offer from elsewhere, how long can I keep one offer open while having another one accepted? What's the right course here? I am not entirely committed to leaving my old firm but I'm growing more and more concerned.

rpupkin

Re: Looking for a job during clerkship with an accepted offer

Postby rpupkin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm

It's typical for clerks to test the market for post-clerkship jobs. Your summer firm knows this; there's nothing wrong with applying to other firms. Although you don't have to tell your summer firm that you're going to test the market, you also don't have to go out of your way to keep it secret from them. Just proceed normally. And, of course, tell your judge where you're applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 pm

rpupkin wrote:It's typical for clerks to test the market for post-clerkship jobs. Your summer firm knows this; there's nothing wrong with applying to other firms. Although you don't have to tell your summer firm that you're going to test the market, you also don't have to go out of your way to keep it secret from them. Just proceed normally. And, of course, tell your judge where you're applying.

I understand this is the typical advice but do you distinguish between accepted and unaccepted (open) offer? I have already received reimbursement for bar-related expenses (with my judge's consent of course).

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:It's typical for clerks to test the market for post-clerkship jobs. Your summer firm knows this; there's nothing wrong with applying to other firms. Although you don't have to tell your summer firm that you're going to test the market, you also don't have to go out of your way to keep it secret from them. Just proceed normally. And, of course, tell your judge where you're applying.

I understand this is the typical advice but do you distinguish between accepted and unaccepted (open) offer?

Not really. If you end up going to a different firm then you'll have to reimburse your summer firm for the bar expenses it paid. This happens all the time. Firms are used to it.

If you were clerking for one of the many judges who don't permit clerks to start their clerkships with an accepted offer from a big law firm, you probably would have told your summer firm that you'd like to come back and that you'll contact them in the spring. From your firm's perspective, that situation isn't much different from your current one. In both cases, they'd probably list you as tentative for Fall 2018. I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

ETA: Just to repeat, be sure to check in with your judge about your plans. If your applying to other firms bothers your judge, you may have to adjust your approach accordingly. Your judge probably won't care but I would check.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 pm

It also depends on the market--where would you be looking?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It also depends on the market--where would you be looking?

Why would it depend on the market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 pm

If you have *accepted* the offer, be careful. It's typical for clerks to hold offers open during clerkships, but there is a difference between doing that and signing on the dotted line.

Are you looking in NYC?

NDOMUKONGGGG

Postby NDOMUKONGGGG » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Anon can you Pm me the name of the firm you summered at?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm currently clerking, and I had an open offer from a summered at. I never "accepted" the offer from the firm I summered at, and I ended up accepting an offer from a different firm.

I definitely agree that there is a difference between having an open offer and having accepted the offer (signing on the dotted line). If you haven't signed an offer letter, then it seems tough for the firm to say you've accepted. The fact that the firm paid your bar expenses is concerning though--I would imagine that a firm would not do this unless you've signed or somehow acknowledged that you've accepted an offer. I'd also bet that the firm sent you something explaining that you would have to repay the bar expenses if you didn't come back after the clerkship (the offer letters I've seen all had something to this effect).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The fact that the firm paid your bar expenses is concerning though--I would imagine that a firm would not do this unless you've signed or somehow acknowledged that you've accepted an offer. I'd also bet that the firm sent you something explaining that you would have to repay the bar expenses if you didn't come back after the clerkship (the offer letters I've seen all had something to this effect).
rpupkin wrote:If you end up going to a different firm then you'll have to reimburse your summer firm for the bar expenses it paid. This happens all the time. Firms are used to it.

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I understand this is the typical advice but do you distinguish between accepted and unaccepted (open) offer?

Not really. If you end up going to a different firm then you'll have to reimburse your summer firm for the bar expenses it paid. This happens all the time. Firms are used to it.

If you were clerking for one of the many judges who don't permit clerks to start their clerkships with an accepted offer from a big law firm, you probably would have told your summer firm that you'd like to come back and that you'll contact them in the spring. From your firm's perspective, that situation isn't much different from your current one. In both cases, they'd probably list you as tentative for Fall 2018. I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

ETA: Just to repeat, be sure to check in with your judge about your plans. If your applying to other firms bothers your judge, you may have to adjust your approach accordingly. Your judge probably won't care but I would check.

Agree with all of this but the last. You don’t need judge’s permission to apply to other firms just because you previously accepted an offer.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:41 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The fact that the firm paid your bar expenses is concerning though--I would imagine that a firm would not do this unless you've signed or somehow acknowledged that you've accepted an offer. I'd also bet that the firm sent you something explaining that you would have to repay the bar expenses if you didn't come back after the clerkship (the offer letters I've seen all had something to this effect).
rpupkin wrote:If you end up going to a different firm then you'll have to reimburse your summer firm for the bar expenses it paid. This happens all the time. Firms are used to it.

Generally, would you reimburse your summer firm, or would the new firm reimburse your summer firm?

BulletTooth

Postby BulletTooth » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Agree with all of this but the last. You don’t need judge’s permission to apply to other firms just because you previously accepted an offer.[/quote]

Yeah, you would need the judge's permission no matter what because it could give rise to conflicts on cases you're working on.

Return to “Legal Employment”