Lateral to CA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral to CA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 am

My partner has been relocated to CA, so I'm looking to make a move out west. I'm at a V10 in NY, rising 3rd year in corporate/capital markets. Biggest issue I'm running into is having to re-qualify in CA. Any advice from people who have changed jurisdictions who haven't been able to waive into the new bar?

I haven't reached out to a recruiter yet - the recruiter calls I get are all for NY positions and I don't trust that any of them would be well placed to help with a CA move, and I don't have any connections with recruiters in CA. I feel like applying direct to firms isn't working though since I won't be licensed to practice until September or so (given that the July bar is the earliest I can take) and they don't seem to be able to look past this.

RedGiant

Re: Lateral to CA

Postby RedGiant » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:28 am

NorCal or SoCal?

NY attys get a lot of cred in the CA market. You should be able to apply directly and do OK.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:50 pm

I empathize with your situation and perhaps my experience can be insightful.

As a rising 2nd year at a large firm in Chicago, I decided it was time for me to follow through on my dream of moving to SF. I approached my firm and asked to be considered for any open positions in our SF office, and they decided to let me transfer offices!, and worked with me on taking the CA bar, including paying for a review class again and allowing me time off in the lead-up to the exam. I could have taken the February 2017 Bar, but I knew the February test would be the last one scored 65% Essay and 35% MBE, because in July 2017 and thereafter it would be 50% Essay and 50% MBE. CA has notoriously fickle and inconsistent essay grades, so I wanted to put my faith in the MBE. So I waited until July.

My fiancee and I ended up both passing the July test, we are now sworn in and move to SF in January.

My advice to you would be take the February bar exam. Based on your firm pedigree, I find it likely that you did well or very well on the MBE in your NY Bar exam. If you can get a 155+ MBE on the CA bar exam, you are almost in auto-pass land. You would only need a 133 on the essays, which is the average Golden Gate Law School essay score. You still have more than enough time to get up the curve quickly on the MBE in December and January.

My fiancee literally studied 70 hours for the CA bar this July by focusing almost exclusively on the MBE subjects.

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:33 pm

PM me if you want to chat. Happy to hop on the phone.

Return to “Legal Employment”