2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are these interviews for 1L SA or LCLD 1L programs?


SA

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Just got off an interview with AG Houston.
Waiting back on V&E; have a coffee date set up with KE Houston.

URM. T-15.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:50 am

Those getting interviews already: are you a diversity applicant? I haven't gotten any interview requests and applied to every firm on 12/1. I don't have any typos in my resume/cover letter/etc. Right outside the T14, solid resume but nothing amazing. Networked pretty hard and had several conversations with alums from my school who now work at various firms. Also a few firms asked for my undergraduate transcript which has basically perfect grades.

Attending 5 holiday receptions in 2 days.. Sidley, Locke Lord, Baker Botts, V&E, and Gardere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:22 pm

I am a non-diverse candidate that has had 3 interviews in Dallas so far. 2 of the interviews I got w/o a connection. 1 w/ a connection. Only 1/3 is w/ a firm you have listed
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those getting interviews already: are you a diversity applicant? I haven't gotten any interview requests and applied to every firm on 12/1. I don't have any typos in my resume/cover letter/etc. Right outside the T14, solid resume but nothing amazing. Networked pretty hard and had several conversations with alums from my school who now work at various firms. Also a few firms asked for my undergraduate transcript which has basically perfect grades.

Attending 5 holiday receptions in 2 days.. Sidley, Locke Lord, Baker Botts, V&E, and Gardere.


Diverse T6 candidate with ties and only had an interview with BB Hou. 1L SAs seem to be a shitshow with a big element of luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those getting interviews already: are you a diversity applicant? I haven't gotten any interview requests and applied to every firm on 12/1. I don't have any typos in my resume/cover letter/etc. Right outside the T14, solid resume but nothing amazing. Networked pretty hard and had several conversations with alums from my school who now work at various firms. Also a few firms asked for my undergraduate transcript which has basically perfect grades.

Attending 5 holiday receptions in 2 days.. Sidley, Locke Lord, Baker Botts, V&E, and Gardere.


Diverse T6 candidate with ties and only had an interview with BB Hou. 1L SAs seem to be a shitshow with a big element of luck.


I'm guessing it's my school, then - they probably want to see grades first since I'm right outside the T14. Which is lovely since my grades are released so late!

I have ties to Texas and a very small connection with one firm. Really wanted to hit a few firms' receptions such as Jackson Walker but i was out of town that day - wish they would've had two like some firms :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Also, anyone know if Jones Day is having a holiday reception?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those getting interviews already: are you a diversity applicant? I haven't gotten any interview requests and applied to every firm on 12/1. I don't have any typos in my resume/cover letter/etc. Right outside the T14, solid resume but nothing amazing. Networked pretty hard and had several conversations with alums from my school who now work at various firms. Also a few firms asked for my undergraduate transcript which has basically perfect grades.

Attending 5 holiday receptions in 2 days.. Sidley, Locke Lord, Baker Botts, V&E, and Gardere.


Diverse T6 candidate with ties and only had an interview with BB Hou. 1L SAs seem to be a shitshow with a big element of luck.


I'm guessing it's my school, then - they probably want to see grades first since I'm right outside the T14. Which is lovely since my grades are released so late!

I have ties to Texas and a very small connection with one firm. Really wanted to hit a few firms' receptions such as Jackson Walker but i was out of town that day - wish they would've had two like some firms :(


Nailed it on the grades. Firms will throw out interviews to T6 + UT students without grades, but anyone outside of the T6 + UT will need to show grades.

Anecdotally, it seems that ties matter a whole lot less for T6 candidates than they do for others. Plenty of the T6 candidates getting interviews have extremely tenuous ties to TX. Outside of the T14, you'll want your ties to be pretty strong (e.g. born and raised in Texas/lived there most of your life plus UG in the state/spouse has a job in the city you're targeting, etc.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those getting interviews already: are you a diversity applicant? I haven't gotten any interview requests and applied to every firm on 12/1. I don't have any typos in my resume/cover letter/etc. Right outside the T14, solid resume but nothing amazing. Networked pretty hard and had several conversations with alums from my school who now work at various firms. Also a few firms asked for my undergraduate transcript which has basically perfect grades.

Attending 5 holiday receptions in 2 days.. Sidley, Locke Lord, Baker Botts, V&E, and Gardere.


Diverse T6 candidate with ties and only had an interview with BB Hou. 1L SAs seem to be a shitshow with a big element of luck.


I'm guessing it's my school, then - they probably want to see grades first since I'm right outside the T14. Which is lovely since my grades are released so late!

I have ties to Texas and a very small connection with one firm. Really wanted to hit a few firms' receptions such as Jackson Walker but i was out of town that day - wish they would've had two like some firms :(


Nailed it on the grades. Firms will throw out interviews to T6 + UT students without grades, but anyone outside of the T6 + UT will need to show grades.

Anecdotally, it seems that ties matter a whole lot less for T6 candidates than they do for others. Plenty of the T6 candidates getting interviews have extremely tenuous ties to TX. Outside of the T14, you'll want your ties to be pretty strong (e.g. born and raised in Texas/lived there most of your life plus UG in the state/spouse has a job in the city you're targeting, etc.)


Yeah, SO born and raised in the city I'm targeting and has a job there, so we want to stay there permanently. On my end, I have a small family and no real ties anywhere, but I wouldn't bring that up in an interview, obviously. Networked pretty hard and am hitting the winter receptions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Heard there is a ton of attrition this month at KE Houston -- I'd reach out to Kirkland

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby poptart123 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:33 pm

When do students generally start hearing about offers for the 1L summer after interviews? Late January after grades?

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby addie1412 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:01 pm

.
Last edited by addie1412 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 am

Firms that I haven't seen listed but I know are giving interviews already are Jackson Walker (Dallas) and Perkins Coie (Dallas). UT students with and without ties to Texas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Firms that I haven't seen listed but I know are giving interviews already are Jackson Walker (Dallas) and Perkins Coie (Dallas). UT students with and without ties to Texas.


UT grades aren't out yet, correct?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Callback in Houston. PM me for firm. Right outside the T13, good ties/story, not a ton of WE but relevant WE. Oh, and almost perfect undergrad GPA.

Made some great connections at the receptions and now just need my grades.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Same poster as above. Callback from another firm in Houston that had a reception yesterday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:16 pm

BB Dallas is moving forward...

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Locke Lord (Houston) is inviting everyone that attended their reception

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Locke Lord (Houston) is inviting everyone that attended their reception


How do you know they are inviting everyone?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Locke Lord (Houston) is inviting everyone that attended their reception


How do you know they are inviting everyone?


Of the 10 I've spoken too, UT and T-14 students who were at their reception were invited on the 11th for a three rounds of interviews, a tour, and lunch with the attorneys. I realize that it's privileged af for me to mention it (now) and it might be because of the bias toward believing UT and T-14 students deserve interviews without grades.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Locke Lord (Houston) is inviting everyone that attended their reception


How do you know they are inviting everyone?


Of the 10 I've spoken too, UT and T-14 students who were at their reception were invited on the 11th for a three rounds of interviews, a tour, and lunch with the attorneys. I realize that it's privileged af for me to mention it (now) and it might be because of the bias toward believing UT and T-14 students deserve interviews without grades.


FWIW, I got the same invitation and am right outside the T14 (not Texas). Networked really hard though, not sure if that played a role.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Anyone hear anything from Norton Rose Fulbright in Houston?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Norton Rose Fulbright in Houston?


FWIW, the Dallas office had an interview day on January 4 and is having another on January 11. They seem to want all grades back before extending offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Norton Rose Fulbright in Houston?


I applied but didn't ever get a response. Feel like half the firms I applied to never responded to the application though... T6 student with strong ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309432
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Texas 1L SA Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 pm

Any movement at the following Dallas offices?

HayBoo
Jackson Walker
Jones Day
Sidley



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.