question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:15 pm

i misstated my undergrad gpa during an SA interview. the interviewing partner wrote it down. unless the firm requests my undergrad transcripts, matches the partner's notes to my transcript, are there any other risks here? i feel like this is very unlikely and it's a risk i'm willing to take.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: question

Postby UVA2B » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:19 pm

You'll be fine. If it somehow ever came up, just mention you misspoke accidentally.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:21 pm

By how much?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 pm

to be honest, not an insignificant amount. i was an extreme splitter and at that moment, i sort of panicked. i already submitted my law school transcript. when i start (hypothetically) as an associate, will the firm ask for my undergrad transcript? will they somehow relay this to the bar? it's a mid-sized firm.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 pm

sublime is right, are we talking 3.8 vs. 3.6, or are we talking 3.5 vs. 2.8? The optics will matter, and you might want to get in front of it before it became a problem.

Edit: see you have an offer, so I would be ready to explain what happened.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:34 pm

3.0 vs. 2.5. if i tell them "oh i actually meant 2.5" i can see this tanking me....i thought firms don't ask for undergrad transcripts? i was also thinking of saying "i misspoke, i vaguely remembered my major gpa being around a 3.0," but not sure this is gonna fly.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Postby estefanchanning » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Most firms don't ask about undergrad GPA, but if the partner wrote it down then maybe they do require verification?

Also, 3.0 instead of 2.5...that's not 'misstating.' That's misrepresenting/lying.

I would just not say anything and hope they don't request verification. At this point, they're more likely to rescind your offer for lying than for earning a 2.5.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:01 am

if they do request, when would they do it? when i start summering or when i start as an associate?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Postby estefanchanning » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:05 am

Every firm has its own procedures, hard to tell. Most do it before you start summering. But some firms ask before you become an associate/when they're verifying 3L grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:49 am

wouldn't HR be the one to check? not the partner? I imagine HR might not even have the parnter's notes and if they did might not think anything of it

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:30 am

Regardless of how this plays out - get out of the habit of lying.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:34 am

Agree with others that have said that this amounts to misrepresentation. Not sure how someone can misspeak when asked about a specific number. If you had a 2.9 gpa and rounded up and said 3.0 I think that's reasonable, but saying you had a 3.0 when you had a 2.5 is straight up lying. Hope it works out for you though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:59 am

There was a graduate who could not pass the character and fitness portion because she lied about her gpa for a job and it somehow got back to the school, even though she withdraw her application out of fear. Granted, it was the law school gpa but I believe law schools make it pretty clear to not lie about grades and other things because firms do actually talk to school’s career development offices and sometimes compare notes. 2.5 vs 3.0 is a very huge gap. Once again, it would be odd for them to do this for an undergrad transcript but who knows, they may check later on. Next time do not lie.

EliotAlderson

New

Postby EliotAlderson » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 am

UVA2B wrote:You'll be fine. If it somehow ever came up, just mention you misspoke accidentally.

Seconded. And please try to avoid being like Trump from now on.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:11 pm

The biggest issue is that if this is a rare firm that cares about an undergrad GPA, the 2.5 is problematic (maybe they have some stupid 3.0 cutoff for whatever reason). I think some part of your unconscious mind might have realized that and this will wind up coming off like a purposeful lie to them and not misremembering you had a 3.53 when it was a 3.35. That partner may have been checking off a box on an evaulation.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:13 pm

EliotAlderson wrote:
UVA2B wrote:You'll be fine. If it somehow ever came up, just mention you misspoke accidentally.

I would just like to point out that this comment from UVA was made previous to the revelation about the scale of the discepancy which may have changed things.

EliotAlderson

New

Postby EliotAlderson » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:18 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:
EliotAlderson wrote:

I would just like to point out that this comment from UVA was made previous to the revelation about the scale of the discepancy which may have changed things.

Doesn’t change anything. I interview for my firm, take notes. Send to recruiting and the notes disappear into the ether. Recruiting keeps them but I don’t remember what I wrote down. If I was the interviewer, wouldn’t remember this and think that I screwed up. Plus, my firm asks for undergrad transcripts to confirm graduation. Don’t believe we look at the GPA. And if we did, wouldn’t compare it to the notes. Law firm IT is not that sophisticated.

Should mention that when I’m working with a junior and they fuck up, I want to know about it ASAP and what they are doing to fix it. Here, there is no need to fix. It is what it is. If it was law school GPA, different story.

Return to “Legal Employment?