Working overseas (Asia): what are good areas of law to focus on?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working overseas (Asia): what are good areas of law to focus on?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:27 am

Thinking about working in Asia because I have a spouse and she wants to be closer to family. For anyone who has knowledge on this topic or knows someone who has worked overseas, what are ideal or good areas of law to get exposure to while working in the US? Off the top of my head, capital markets and M&A come to mind. Maybe IP is another good area. What about other areas like employment/labor law or healthcare or real estate? Are these good areas too? And are there any recruiters who deal with asia? thanks in advance

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Re: Working overseas (Asia): what are good areas of law to focus on?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:41 pm

I know a few US licensed attorneys who are currently practicing or have practiced in Korea. They generally focus on M&A, general corporate, international arbitration or lit, or PE. I've been told that if you want to practice in Asia, those are some of the more common areas to be in.

qxfr

New

Postby qxfr » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Cap markets and M&A are by far the best choices. Lit (i.e int'l arbitration) is also a thing but a smaller practice area.

There is a pretty easy way to answer this: look up the major law firms that have offices in the jurisdiction of your choice, and then see what the partners and associates in that office are doing.

There are definitely Asia-focused recruiters - a bunch of them post on Above the Law all the time.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Capital Markets, M&A, PE in that order. IP if in Korea or Japan as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Does anyone know if experience is required to work in Asia? Not sure how many 3L job search will go and am generally curious.

Return to “Legal Employment�