Work for Tech Firm, In-house, or Big Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Work for Tech Firm, In-house, or Big Law?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Any thoughts about post-graduate career opportunities? Deciding between 3 options: a position at a major tech firm (think Amazon/Microsoft/Google), an in-house counsel position at a corporation, or a traditional big law position. The position at the tech firm is not a legal position but deals with sales and licensing contracts in the sales department. Salary for in-house and big law position are comparable. The tech firm pays a bit lower.
I'm not completely committed to practicing law but hope to pursue a career that will have the most potential.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Work for Tech firm, In-house, or Big Law?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts about post-graduate career opportunities? Deciding between 3 options: a position at a major tech firm (think Amazon/Microsoft/Google), an in-house counsel position at a corporation, or a traditional big law position. The position at the tech firm is not a legal position but deals with sales and licensing contracts in the sales department. Salary for in-house and big law position are comparable. The tech firm pays a bit lower.

Threshold question: do you want to be a lawyer?

megaragirl

New

Re: Work for Tech Firm, In-house, or Big Law?

Postby megaragirl » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 pm

What industry is the in-house position in?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 pm

megaragirl wrote:OP here. I am on the fence about practicing law. I like the tech firm though not sure about exit opportunities. I'm not completely committed to practicing law but hope to pursue a career that will have the most potential.

Careers don't have "potential" in the abstract. This exercise is absurd if you don't have goals in mind.

Anyway, if you'd like to leave open the possibility of a career as a lawyer, you probably should start practicing right out of law school. I'd start in big law. If you're in a position to go in-house right out of law school, then you should still be able to go in-house after you get sick of big law. If you suffer through at least a couple of years of big law, you'll learn some things while making some money, and you'll likely be a better in-house lawyer should you decide that's what you want to do.

And if it turns out you just hate being a lawyer all together, you can leave the profession and go work in tech.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:23 pm

megaragirl wrote:What industry is the in-house position in?

rpupkin wrote:
megaragirl wrote:OP here. I am on the fence about practicing law. I like the tech firm though not sure about exit opportunities. I'm not completely committed to practicing law but hope to pursue a career that will have the most potential.

Careers don't have "potential" in the abstract. This exercise is absurd if you don't have goals in mind.

Anyway, if you'd like to leave open the possibility of a career as a lawyer, you probably should start practicing right out of law school. I'd start in big law. If you're in a position to go in-house right out of law school, then you should still be able to go in-house after you get sick of big law. If you suffer through at least a couple of years of big law, you'll learn some things while making some money, and you'll likely be a better in-house lawyer should you decide that's what you want to do.

And if it turns out you just hate being a lawyer all together, you can leave the profession and go work in tech.

This is...a bit odd. Are you the OP or are you trying to help out?

megaragirl

New

Postby megaragirl » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Not the OP, was answering another message.

BayCat24

New

Postby BayCat24 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts about post-graduate career opportunities? Deciding between 3 options: a position at a major tech firm (think Amazon/Microsoft/Google), an in-house counsel position at a corporation, or a traditional big law position. The position at the tech firm is not a legal position but deals with sales and licensing contracts in the sales department. Salary for in-house and big law position are comparable. The tech firm pays a bit lower.
I'm not completely committed to practicing law but hope to pursue a career that will have the most potential.

PM me.

smokeylarue

Silver

Postby smokeylarue » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:41 am

Let me get this straight OP, you are currently still in law school, and you are juggling different offers for BigLaw, In-house that pays comparable to Big Law (btw, there is no in-house position in the world that will pay you 180k out of law school lol), AND top tier tech company? Yeah that sounds very plausible. :roll:

OP, I assume you made up this fake scenario to get some insight over law vs. non-law route, whether you should go to law school, etc. Really hard to answer, highly dependent on your goals in life, your tolerance for long hours/stress, desired industries, etc. In-house counsel will get you decent money and decent work life balance, but you'll have to slog through some years of Biglaw pain first. The law route will probably make you more money in your lifetime than some back office roles at a tech company (and this is only assuming you land a BigLaw position, which is difficult to do if you don't end up at a top law school), but all my friends who work at these operation/back office roles in the tech companies seem to have pretty good lives (low stress, easy hours, lots of vacation) and they still make OK money.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:56 am

why did you apply for the sales job?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:08 am

To be fair, the anon OP isn't a 0L.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:30 pm

Amazon, Microsoft, and Google vary wildly in terms of work qol. I’d take biglaw over Amazon any day. Amazon is neither low stress nor is it easy money. I’d take Google over biglaw any day because Google. Microsoft... depends on the position and where it is. Microsoft is a different beast from internet giant.

If in-house pay is comparable to biglaw pay (so around 180k), it’s got to be a big company right? You can’t really go wrong going in-house at something that profitable/large. I’d probably take that over biglaw.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Postby toast and bananas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:43 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Amazon, Microsoft, and Google vary wildly in terms of work qol. I’d take biglaw over Amazon any day. Amazon is neither low stress nor is it easy money. I’d take Google over biglaw any day because Google. Microsoft... depends on the position and where it is. Microsoft is a different beast from internet giant.

If in-house pay is comparable to biglaw pay (so around 180k), it’s got to be a big company right? You can’t really go wrong going in-house at something that profitable/large. I’d probably take that over biglaw.

I've actually heard (anecdotally, mind you) that Google being one of the best places to work is fake news.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:08 pm

toast and bananas wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Amazon, Microsoft, and Google vary wildly in terms of work qol. I’d take biglaw over Amazon any day. Amazon is neither low stress nor is it easy money. I’d take Google over biglaw any day because Google. Microsoft... depends on the position and where it is. Microsoft is a different beast from internet giant.

I've actually heard (anecdotally, mind you) that Google being one of the best places to work is fake news.

My friends that work at Google do love it, but Amazon while not being as relaxed as other tech companies, does pay pretty well when you consider stock options. I have a friend that was in-house there for four years (had been mid-level associate in midlaw) and left with nearly $1 million in stock after vesting. He didn't like working there though. But I have friends doing non-legal at Amazon and do love it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:00 am

im a legal counsel for a fintech company, and i got this job right after i grad. The training is pretty much "learn on the job", i kinda wish i had some training from big law. The hrs is good, but if i were you i would go big law and then switch to in house cuz its generally harder to go big law from in house in my opinion.

Return to “Legal Employment?