Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:01 pm

So I've been working on my resume for 1L jobs, and my career counselor has advised me to include an "interests" section. But when I look at the example sections provided by my career center, they're all so interesting (e.g. speaks multiple foreign languages, runs marathons, accomplished semi-professional musician). By comparison, I am very boring. I speak only one language (English) and, aside from a few law school extracurriculars (which already appear elsewhere on my resume), outside of school, I'm mostly interested in drinking and playing video games. Is an interests section really important? What should I do?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:10 pm

Others might disagree but i'd say you're overthinking it given that these rarely come up in interviews. Just put like golf or reading or something like that. The one caveat is to make it something you actually can talk about so if it does come up you don't look like an idiot.

Traynor Brah

Silver
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:12 pm

personally, if you put drinking and playing video games in your interests section, I would talk to you about them and probably be more likely to bond with you, which is the whole point of the interests section. when I did OCI I put like "craft beer" or "mixology" in my interests and it went over quite well. just own what you actually do in your free time and be confident about it; people will appreciate that either way.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:personally, if you put drinking and playing video games in your interests section, I would talk to you about them and probably be more likely to bond with you, which is the whole point of the interests section. when I did OCI I put like "craft beer" or "mixology" in my interests and it went over quite well. just own what you actually do in your free time and be confident about it; people will appreciate that either way.

Completely agree

hlsperson1111

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Agree with what everyone says. If you are a big fan of a professional/D1 college sports team, I think that's an easy one too.

Damage Over Time

Silver
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Damage Over Time » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 pm

also consider calling this section "likes" rather than "interests"

User avatar
encore1101

Silver
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby encore1101 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Depends on which games. Candy Crush/Kim Kardashian: Hollywood app? GTFO. WoW/LoL/Witcher? Welcome aboard!

Also, if you tell me your main is Hanzo, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Last edited by encore1101 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm

If you tell me you play teemo, I'm kicking you out of the door ASAP.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:25 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:also consider calling this section "likes" rather than "interests"

Nah

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you tell me you play teemo, I'm kicking you out of the door ASAP.


OP here, I actually do play LoL and often teemo... should I leave those details off my resume?

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:29 pm

i don't have an "interests" section

OneShot2009

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby OneShot2009 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Since my interests were also clear in other places in my resume, I just omitted an interests section.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:37 pm

I'll chime in and say something like golf can be really helpful. I was asked about it in about 1/2 my interviews throughout law school, and it was a really good talking point to say I play to 9 or 10 handicap - it would've been even better if I could say I was scratch. Also left on a previous job at a country club in the pro shop for this reason. I think something like craft beer or similar, which a lot of people can have at least a rudimentary level of knowledge about, can be a good talking point.

lolwat

Silver
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby lolwat » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:44 pm

encore1101 wrote:Depends on which games. Candy Crush/Kim Kardashian: Hollywood app? GTFO. WoW/LoL/Witcher? Welcome aboard!

Also, if you tell me your main is Hanzo, don't let the door hit you on the way out.


I agree with this, including that you really do not want to let anyone know if you're a Hanzo main. (Or Widow, unless you happen to be Flow3r.) Even relatively generic interests can be interesting to people--and in fact, it's more likely to spawn conversation because it's more likely that people have the same interests. Not everyone needs to have traveled the world, be a marathon runner, or be a big fan of some college or pro sports team.

I'll also note that I don't particularly like drinking (and putting that in *could* be a slight negative to some people unless you make it more interesting than just "I drink a lot of beer"), but IMO, there are too few of us who actually fucking own up to the fact that we like video games. Fuck sports, I'll have more respect for you if you can tell me which country won the OW world cup finals at Blizzcon. I used to think it was either too uninteresting or too much of a weird thing to put on a resume, but not anymore.

I don't want to out myself to anyone who has seen my resume, but I have, in the past and present and probably future, put things into it that relate to WoW and Overwatch and Hearthstone and stuff, and many times even the older interviewers will ask something about it because their kids or grandkids play that stuff, lol.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:56 pm

boomers have way dorkier interests. if you took a stroll around your office i'll bet that you'll find multiple old dude cycling nerds, HAM radio nerds, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll chime in and say something like golf can be really helpful. I was asked about it in about 1/2 my interviews throughout law school, and it was a really good talking point to say I play to 9 or 10 handicap - it would've been even better if I could say I was scratch. Also left on a previous job at a country club in the pro shop for this reason. I think something like craft beer or similar, which a lot of people can have at least a rudimentary level of knowledge about, can be a good talking point.


How long would it take me to learn to play golf well enough to list it on my resume?

User avatar
Lacepiece23

Silver
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I've been working on my resume for 1L jobs, and my career counselor has advised me to include an "interests" section. But when I look at the example sections provided by my career center, they're all so interesting (e.g. speaks multiple foreign languages, runs marathons, accomplished semi-professional musician). By comparison, I am very boring. I speak only one language (English) and, aside from a few law school extracurriculars (which already appear elsewhere on my resume), outside of school, I'm mostly interested in drinking and playing video games. Is an interests section really important? What should I do?


I put video games, sports, and weightlifting on my interests section. I could talk knowledgeably about all that so why not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:48 pm

Felt like I was in the same boat as you, OP. I like to drink, play video games, and watch sports. Didn't think any of them were remotely interesting enough to include in an "interests" section but it was all I had so I did. Ended up connecting with the interviewer on at least one of them in almost every interview I went on.

Obviously you need to spruce them up a bit, though. Mention a specific video game (those who know it will be happy to talk about it, those who don't won't ever remember it was on your resume), mention a specific sports team, mention "craft beer" or "making whiskey" or something like that for the drinking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll chime in and say something like golf can be really helpful. I was asked about it in about 1/2 my interviews throughout law school, and it was a really good talking point to say I play to 9 or 10 handicap - it would've been even better if I could say I was scratch. Also left on a previous job at a country club in the pro shop for this reason. I think something like craft beer or similar, which a lot of people can have at least a rudimentary level of knowledge about, can be a good talking point.


How long would it take me to learn to play golf well enough to list it on my resume?


you are doing the interests section wrong if you need to learn something just so you can talk about it

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll chime in and say something like golf can be really helpful. I was asked about it in about 1/2 my interviews throughout law school, and it was a really good talking point to say I play to 9 or 10 handicap - it would've been even better if I could say I was scratch. Also left on a previous job at a country club in the pro shop for this reason. I think something like craft beer or similar, which a lot of people can have at least a rudimentary level of knowledge about, can be a good talking point.


How long would it take me to learn to play golf well enough to list it on my resume?


3 months to a lifetime depending on coordination and effort

User avatar
strawberrieee

Bronze
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:27 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby strawberrieee » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Game of Thrones is another easy one.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you are doing the interests section wrong if you need to learn something just so you can talk about it

hlsperson1111

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby hlsperson1111 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm reasonably good at Hearthstone (and sometimes play it in the office when I'm slow/bored, including with our IT guy and a young partner) but would never in a million years put it in my interests section on a resume.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby TLSModBot » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Interests: doing my goddamn job I am a robot built to bill. Also, cocaine.

User avatar
dsn32

Bronze
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Interests Section When You're a Very Uninteresting Person?

Postby dsn32 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:07 pm

The best advice I received as a 1L was to include something innocuous but very relatable in my interest section. A 2L had told me that he put "The Wire" in his interest section, and it made screening interviews much easier/more tolerable. I followed suit and put "Seinfeld" in my interests section. Seinfeld came up in every interview that I received an offer from. . . and definitely helped me see the more personal side of the people who work in big law (spoiler alert: they actually do have interests outside the office!)



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.