Summer with no post-grad opp, or something else?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer with no post-grad opp, or something else?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Initially struck out at OCI, but got an offer from a smaller office of a V100 just this week. The offer, however, is unlikely to turn into a post-grad position - the office is small and this will be their first summer, so they aren't sure that they will have the work for a post-grad opp (they are hopeful there will be a job but are just not sure).

I want BigLaw. Should I take? I have interviews coming up for state AG's offices and some fed positions. Does having a summer at a V100 put me in a better position for a 3L opportunity? Or am I better off just going to the state/fed route and trying to leverage that into something down the line...?

Appreciate any advice.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Summer with no post-grad opp, or something else?

Postby runinthefront » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Take the firm offer and the large paycheck that comes with it. It will help put you in play for other firm jobs at the end of the summer—at least, moreso than any of the other jobs you’re considering.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malibustacy

Bronze

Re: Summer with no post-grad opp, or something else?

Postby malibustacy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:52 pm

Take the offer, then renege if a better opportunity comes up. However, unless the government summer jobs are going to lead to full time employment, I'd much rather take the firm job.

If you do end up going to the V100, make a great impression and see if they will bat for you. They may very well have a spot opening up; however, lawyers are super risk adverse and don't want to give you the wrong idea should it fall through. Maybe they could help you get a job in another office in the same firm.

If you don't end up getting an offer from the V100, they can be your reference and tell 3L OCI firms that they simply were too small, that it was their 1st summer, etc. That might help things a lot.

Return to “Legal Employment?