Changing Lateral Office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Changing Lateral Office

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:38 pm

I received a lateral offer a few weeks ago for a firm. I've accepted but not yet started. I just found out my SO's job is relocating him to another city, where my firm also has an office of substantial size, with a large presence for my practice group. As expected, I would obviously like to work in the same city as my SO. Has anyone ever dealt with a similar circumstance? What's the proper way to see if the firm will allow you to shift offices before even starting? Any success stories and/or advice is appreciated, thanks.

blahblewblah

New

Re: Changing Lateral Office

Postby blahblewblah » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:26 am

Whether this is feasible will likely be determined by how badly the firm needs associates in your practice area in both offices. Proper way to see if it is feasible is to ask--but it is also a calculated risk.

sparty99

Gold

Postby sparty99 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I received a lateral offer a few weeks ago for a firm. I've accepted but not yet started. I just found out my SO's job is relocating him to another city, where my firm also has an office of substantial size, with a large presence for my practice group. As expected, I would obviously like to work in the same city as my SO. Has anyone ever dealt with a similar circumstance? What's the proper way to see if the firm will allow you to shift offices before even starting? Any success stories and/or advice is appreciated, thanks.

It usually takes 2-3 months to relocate. I would maybe bring this up at the 6 month mark at the new firm after you have proven yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:41 am

Did you interview with people in the other office as well.

Return to “Legal Employment�