Keep getting interviews, but no offers...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
leib10

Bronze

Keep getting interviews, but no offers...

Postby leib10 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:45 pm

I am a recently licensed attorney, did decently well in school, was on Law Review, and clerked in the appellate division of a local DA's office for over two years while going to school. I keep getting interviews at DAs offices and I keep going to them, but without getting any offers. I am being as good an interviewee as I can, but I keep falling short of the mark. What am I doing wrong?

ur_hero

Bronze

Re: Keep getting interviews, but no offers...

Postby ur_hero » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Well...How are the interviews going? Walk us through it and how you feel during and after. Are you fully prepared? Are you confident or nervous? Do you seem like you know what you're talking about? Do you have anything unique or interesting to talk about? Are you asking intelligent and/or meaningful questions about the job that show you kinda sorta understand what you're trying to get into? Do you have related work-experience in which you can easily explain/describe how those skills will kinda sorta translate to their work? Are you conveying that you're genuine/a hard worker? Or otherwise likely pleasant to have around and work with?

Anything awkward or bad happen at an interview or multiple interviews? How do you think the interviewers are responding to you?

We need more detail on what's going on to give any useful input.

leib10

Bronze

Re: Keep getting interviews, but no offers...

Postby leib10 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:23 pm

I've gotten pretty good feelings about the interviews except the last one, where it was obvious that they wanted someone with stronger ties to the area than I had. I've been hit on the fact that I spent so long in appellate, and why I want to make the move into the trial division. Other than that, the interviews are pretty decent and I feel like we've connected well. Few if any other applicants who are just licensed have as much experience in a DAs office than I do, so I know the job inside and out and try to ask good questions.

I'm wondering if it's not me, but rather the fact that there are more experienced applicants than I am.

Return to “Legal Employment�