Intermittent Job History Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Intermittent Job History

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:16 pm

Working on my resume for 1L jobs, and my resume pre-law school is kind of a mess.

Post college I did a post-graduate internship which lasted four months, then worked a job for seven months; place couldn't afford to keep me on.

Was unemployed for two months, and then worked at a company for two-three months before I was laid off there from there as well.

After that, I worked as a freelancer for the nine months before law school since I didn't want to start a job only to quit on them when I left for school.

How bad does this look, and what can I do to mitigate the damage? Career services wants me to list the months on my resume, and are very against the idea of me listing only the year in which I worked at the employer.

cavalier1138

Re: Intermittent Job History

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 pm

1. No one will care.
2. You don't need to list every job you've ever held on your resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 am

cavalier1138 wrote:1. No one will care.
2. You don't need to list every job you've ever held on your resume.
Must be a "just me" thing, as I still feel bad listing a job I only had for three months on my resume :lol:

What would be better; listing the job vs. just putting my freelance stuff on my resume?

kyle1978

New

Post by kyle1978 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:59 am

1L Internship employers generally do not care about your work history. They will assess what law school and undergrad you attended, any law school grades, your undergrad GPA and extracurricular activities, and a writing sample if you have one. If you had a cool internship or previous work experience, that's a plus but absence of any is not necessarily a disqualifier.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote: What would be better; listing the job vs. just putting my freelance stuff on my resume?
What kind of freelance stuff? Freelance graphic designer? Freelance food blogger?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: What would be better; listing the job vs. just putting my freelance stuff on my resume?
What kind of freelance stuff? Freelance graphic designer? Freelance food blogger?
Freelance digital marketer. After I was laid off, I knew I was going to law school, so I didn't want to start a new job only to leave in less than a year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Resumes are not laundry lists. Do not list everything. List only that which paints you in a good light. Talk with your career services about this.

You need to list everything for your bar C&F app, but not on a resume, and not on a job app. YOU GOT THIS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”