do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 302910
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 pm

how did you let yourself get sucked into this craziness

Anonymous User
Posts: 302910
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Being a senior associate is the worst. Next worst are junior partner and midlevel associate.

There are two types of people who stay long enough in biglaw to become senior associates:
- Crazy strivers
- Those bogged down by financial obligations, such as a big mortgage and kids, etc.
These are not mutually exclusive.

Don't let yourself become either and you can get out of there before then, as most people manage to do.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LaLiLuLeLo
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm

I don't understand the seniors who are independently wealthy. Like....why.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302910
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I don't understand the seniors who are independently wealthy. Like....why.


I don't think I knew any independently wealthy senior associates. I knew some independently wealthy partners though, who get business because of their connections.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302910
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Being a senior associate is the worst. Next worst are junior partner and midlevel associate.

There are two types of people who stay long enough in biglaw to become senior associates:
- Crazy strivers
- Those bogged down by financial obligations, such as a big mortgage and kids, etc.
These are not mutually exclusive.

Don't let yourself become either and you can get out of there before then, as most people manage to do.


I thank God every day that I'm not married and don't have kids

Anonymous User
Posts: 302910
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Being a senior associate is the worst. Next worst are junior partner and midlevel associate.

There are two types of people who stay long enough in biglaw to become senior associates:
- Crazy strivers
- Those bogged down by financial obligations, such as a big mortgage and kids, etc.
These are not mutually exclusive.

Don't let yourself become either and you can get out of there before then, as most people manage to do.


Senior associate on the way out isn't a bad gig. You can usually begin the coasting period a year and a half out, doing middling work and living off the goodwill you've earned as a midlevel until they finally realize what is up.

umichman
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:56 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby umichman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 am

To be fair, it seems like senior associates have materially better exit opps as in they enter in house higher

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 17235
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:20 am

Tbh I have loved every senior I have worked with and usually am thinking "how the fuck did they manage to do that." Probably been lucky though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302910
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:39 am

sublime wrote:Tbh I have loved every senior I have worked with and usually am thinking "how the fuck did they manage to do that." Probably been lucky though.


Oh yeah (this is op) I didn't mean this as an attack on them. I just meant essentially what you said here--don't know how you do it, or if you're going to be able to do it

toast and bananas
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby toast and bananas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sublime wrote:Tbh I have loved every senior I have worked with and usually am thinking "how the fuck did they manage to do that." Probably been lucky though.


Oh yeah (this is op) I didn't mean this as an attack on them. I just meant essentially what you said here--don't know how you do it, or if you're going to be able to do it


I think this often as well but at the same time I believe it just occurs naturally. I'm not saying everyone who makes it 8-9 years will be a stellar senior associate, but I think most people who work 8-9 years in any field will amass a decent level of expertise.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:25 pm

I have yet to meet one senior who I am envious of or who I think has a good life for big law standards.

One works all-the-fucking-time, has two kids (four to sevenish), and a stay out home wife. He's in the office all the time. He doesn't seem unhappy. Quite the opposite--he seems happy. But I don't know when he sees his family, seeing as he is always in the office (except for the weekends, though he still works then).

The other has no kids, but she is a screamer and depressingly single and takes her unhappiness out on everyone I know.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 20486
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby star fox » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:57 pm

How do double working (long hours) couples have kids? Daycare closes eventually. Do the grandparents just do everything?

AspiringAspirant
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby AspiringAspirant » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:04 pm

star fox wrote:How do double working (long hours) couples have kids? Daycare closes eventually. Do the grandparents just do everything?


I know several biglaw couples who actually relocated when they had kids so that the grandparents could fill in. Idk what ppl without that option do.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 6184
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Nanny/Au Pairs.

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 8315
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby anyriotgirl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:20 pm

the special counsels are the ones I tend to look at and think "how did you let your life come to this?"

jd20132013
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:44 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:the special counsels are the ones I tend to look at and think "how did you let your life come to this?"


why? do they have an unusual amount of responsibility?

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5635
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby rpupkin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:50 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:the special counsels are the ones I tend to look at and think "how did you let your life come to this?"


why? do they have an unusual amount of responsibility?

I wondered the same. The Of Counsels I know have it pretty good by big law standards—they make what senior associates make (or more) but without the partner-track/up-and-out pressures that plague senior associates.

jd20132013
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:18 pm

I suspect it might vary by firm. Just interested in that poster's take. My firm has special counsels and of counsels, which are clearly in different roles (and also senior counsels)

Moneytrees
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby Moneytrees » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:33 pm

jd20132013 wrote:I suspect it might vary by firm. Just interested in that poster's take. My firm has special counsels and of counsels, which are clearly in different roles (and also senior counsels)


Of Counsel also seems like a pretty good gig to me. At my firm, however, most of the Of Counsels are unhappy with their role and are vying for partnership.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1307
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:39 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:the special counsels are the ones I tend to look at and think "how did you let your life come to this?"


why? do they have an unusual amount of responsibility?

I wondered the same. The Of Counsels I know have it pretty good by big law standards—they make what senior associates make (or more) but without the partner-track/up-and-out pressures that plague senior associates.

Same at my firm. They make $400k+, don't have to worry about business development, etc, and probably don't bill crazy hours - the ones I know are extremely good at delegating. I would honestly prefer that to partner.

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 8315
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby anyriotgirl » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:19 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:the special counsels are the ones I tend to look at and think "how did you let your life come to this?"


why? do they have an unusual amount of responsibility?

I wondered the same. The Of Counsels I know have it pretty good by big law standards—they make what senior associates make (or more) but without the partner-track/up-and-out pressures that plague senior associates.

Same at my firm. They make $400k+, don't have to worry about business development, etc, and probably don't bill crazy hours - the ones I know are extremely good at delegating. I would honestly prefer that to partner.


my firm has of counsels, which are basically semi-retired partners, and special counsels, a few of whom have carved out a niche and have it semi-good, but more of whom are working insane hours and never going to make partner or are gunning to try to claw their way up to partner

gregfootball2001
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 am

star fox wrote:How do double working (long hours) couples have kids? Daycare closes eventually. Do the grandparents just do everything?

No grandparents here. Wife goes to work super early and leaves in time to pick up the kiddo. I drop off the kid, get to work pretty late, and work pretty late. It can work.

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 8315
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby anyriotgirl » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:04 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
star fox wrote:How do double working (long hours) couples have kids? Daycare closes eventually. Do the grandparents just do everything?

No grandparents here. Wife goes to work super early and leaves in time to pick up the kiddo. I drop off the kid, get to work pretty late, and work pretty late. It can work.


Do you ever get to see each other?

BernieTrump
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:54 pm

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby BernieTrump » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:46 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:
star fox wrote:How do double working (long hours) couples have kids? Daycare closes eventually. Do the grandparents just do everything?

No grandparents here. Wife goes to work super early and leaves in time to pick up the kiddo. I drop off the kid, get to work pretty late, and work pretty late. It can work.


Do you ever get to see each other?



Most dual biglaw couples don't see one another. There is a person in my dept who sits near me and fights with his wife loudly on phone every. single. night. about who will go send the nanny home, and how neither of them can do that (at 830pm!) because their work will keep them there all night. These fights are sometimes on speakerphone, and his wife sobs a lot during these bouts.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 2262
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: do you ever just look at the stuff the senior associates have to do and think

Postby cron1834 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Woah.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.