ISDS Int'l Arbitration Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ISDS Int'l Arbitration Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Anonymous because I know the IA world is quite small.

I'm interested in doing ISDS work at a firm that runs their practice out of the U.S. I know that White & Case does this. (Maybe King & Spalding as well? Any others? Covington?)

(1) How difficult is it to break into this type of work? (I'm a 1L at a T10 with a few years of work experience)
(2) Is it possible to do ISDS in NY, or would I be restricted to DC?
(3) I know exit options are limited in int'l arbitration -- what then does a career look like for an ISDS practitioner 10/15/20 years down the line?
(4) I've done everything I can in the way of signaling interest in int'l work by joining student orgs and signing up for classes with an int'l focus in the Spring. Is there anything else I should be doing?
(5) How carefully should I be selecting a 1L summer position? Is there somewhere I can be working that would appreciably increase my chances at landing directly in an IA group?

Any advice at all from IA practitioners (ISDS or commercial) is welcome and appreciated.

Return to “Legal Employment”