Will I get fired after failing the bar? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will I get fired after failing the bar?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Long story short: I failed the CA bar and my firm does not have sufficient work to keep me busy. My employment contract doesn't specifically mention anything about bar results.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Platinum

Re: Will I get fired after failing the bar?

Post by 2014 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm

If it's a big firm you usually get a second shot at it in February, the work loaf thing is probably more cyclical than you. If mid or small firm it's firm dependent and no one here is going to know.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 pm

I was at a big firm, got a second chance and passed the next one. Wasn't too busy leading up to the results, or until a little while after I retook it in Feb.

That being said, it was already understood that I would not be fired for failing the first time (as is the case at most big firms).

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:04 pm

It seems that the majority of places will not fire you for failing once, but there are some exceptions, probably the most notable of which being positions that explicitly require you to be in court a lot. I know its scary and it sucks, but your best course of action is to just talk to the people at your firm.

byrdscales

New

Post by byrdscales » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Read through your employee handbook. My firm has a section that specifically addresses this - one failure is ok, two and you're out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”