Leaving New Firm <1 year to go In House Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving New Firm <1 year to go In House

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:31 am

I lateraled to a new Big Law firm recently mostly to escape the hell of my last law firm. I have been here less than a year and I am convinced now more than ever that Big Law is not for me (at best), and/or the practice of law is not for me (at worst).

I am looking to exit either to a non-legal role or potentially to an in-house job.

How bad is it for long term career prospects to take an in house job so quickly after joining this firm? I will have been at 2 firms in less than 3 years.

I realize if I am exiting law entirely it probably means less, though jumping around still doesn't look great on the resume.

Anonymous User

Re: Leaving New Firm <1 year to go In House

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:44 am

Who the fuck cares if you're leaving the law? Nobody gives a shit about resume gaps if you're leaving the law.

Just take the in house job, try it out, and if you don't like it, then quit law.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I lateraled to a new Big Law firm recently mostly to escape the hell of my last law firm. I have been here less than a year and I am convinced now more than ever that Big Law is not for me (at best), and/or the practice of law is not for me (at worst).

I am looking to exit either to a non-legal role or potentially to an in-house job.

How bad is it for long term career prospects to take an in house job so quickly after joining this firm? I will have been at 2 firms in less than 3 years.

I realize if I am exiting law entirely it probably means less, though jumping around still doesn't look great on the resume.

2 firms in 3 years isn't really that bad. Lots of people have move to different firms after a year/couple of years.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:39 pm

hangtime813 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I lateraled to a new Big Law firm recently mostly to escape the hell of my last law firm. I have been here less than a year and I am convinced now more than ever that Big Law is not for me (at best), and/or the practice of law is not for me (at worst).

2 firms in 3 years isn't really that bad. Lots of people have move to different firms after a year/couple of years.
A lot of people go from a business role after going in-house because after several years in-house you learn a lot about the company. I guess if the pay is good, I would seek in-house.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 am

hangtime813 wrote:

Agree with that, but if I took a new job it would be 3 different firms/companies in 3 years. That doesn't feel like a good look to me.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hangtime813 wrote:

Agree with that, but if I took a new job it would be 3 different firms/companies in 3 years. That doesn't feel like a good look to me.
But you would already be taking the job. Sure, it would be a terrible look on your next job, but if you spend a few good years at your current one, then less of a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”