Reputable NYC Midlaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Reputable NYC Midlaw

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:25 am

Wasn't able to find too much regarding this topic after searching. What are the most reputable mid sized firms in NYC with corporate groups?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Re: Reputable NYC Midlaw

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:35 pm

bump...anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Bump because I'm interested as well. It seems like there are so many biglaw firms in NYC that there's not much of a space for solo practitioners and midlaw firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Bump because I'm interested as well. It seems like there are so many biglaw firms in NYC that there's not much of a space for solo practitioners and midlaw firms.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump because I'm interested as well. It seems like there are so many biglaw firms in NYC that there's not much of a space for solo practitioners and midlaw firms.
Ya for sure, no space in the market for any firms with 1 - ~150 attorneys. Makes sense to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:18 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump because I'm interested as well. It seems like there are so many biglaw firms in NYC that there's not much of a space for solo practitioners and midlaw firms.
Ya for sure, no space in the market for any firms with 1 - ~150 attorneys. Makes sense to me.
Would you mind enlightening us and sharing what some of those firms are?

(edit for typo)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm

McLaughlin & Stern comes to mind; Herrick Feinstein, too. Don't really know much about either when it comes to compensation, but I worked with an of counsel from the former and was really impressed by the work product

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Ellenhoff Grossman, Golenbock Eiseman, Kleinberg Kaplan, White & Williams, Grubman Shire, Olshan

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:37 pm

No personal insight to add, but check out Vault's Top 150 Under 150:

http://www.vault.com/company-rankings/l ... -work-for/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No personal insight to add, but check out Vault's Top 150 Under 150:

http://www.vault.com/company-rankings/l ... -work-for/
Yea I've seen this, but it seems like a lot of these firms follow a hiring timeline similar to big law and have already filled their summer classes.

Thanks to the others contributing as well!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:08 pm

I have an acquaintance who’s a midlevel at Olshan Frome Wolosky and her life frankly sounds amazing. Minimal weekend work and under 1800 billed a year. 20 days of vacation, and no work on vacations. At most on one big deal and a few small matters at a time. If this is representative of NYC midlaw, sign me the fuck up.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 am

I work with Herrick attorneys regularly. They're pretty good and I've only heard good things from their associates. Otterbourg, Davis Gilbert, Olshan, and Tarter Krinsky are also good NYC midlaw firms.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an acquaintance who’s a midlevel at Olshan Frome Wolosky and her life frankly sounds amazing. Minimal weekend work and under 1800 billed a year. 20 days of vacation, and no work on vacations. At most on one big deal and a few small matters at a time. If this is representative of NYC midlaw, sign me the fuck up.
That sounds lovely, unfortunately they just got back to me saying their class is already full. Seems like most firms over 100 or so are already full for next summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 pm

That sucks. I’ve been trying to keep my ear out for potential lateral opportunities myself, but they seem to be pretty fully staffed.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:59 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an acquaintance who’s a midlevel at Olshan Frome Wolosky and her life frankly sounds amazing. Minimal weekend work and under 1800 billed a year. 20 days of vacation, and no work on vacations. At most on one big deal and a few small matters at a time. If this is representative of NYC midlaw, sign me the fuck up.
That sounds lovely, unfortunately they just got back to me saying their class is already full. Seems like most firms over 100 or so are already full for next summer.
Nobody has a list of "reputable" NYC corporate firms that hire 2L SA's this late. At this stage you probably need to get lucky or lower your expectations. Either way, you should be mailling your materials to any firm you'd work for until they tell you no. And don't tie your self worth to the number of attorneys working at your SA firm.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:07 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
Nobody has a list of "reputable" NYC corporate firms that hire 2L SA's this late. At this stage you probably need to get lucky or lower your expectations. Either way, you should be mailling your materials to any firm you'd work for until they tell you no. And don't tie your self worth to the number of attorneys working at your SA firm.
I didn't expect there to be a list for that. Thats why I came here to ask in the first place. And the only reason the firm size is relevant is because, like I mentioned, almost all of the firms over 100 already have filled their classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Your OCS may have a list of alums in small and midsize firms, which is a handy way to get a “list”. It makes it easier to conduct mass-mailing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:51 pm

FWIW, I also just got the same email.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ellenhoff Grossman, Golenbock Eiseman, Kleinberg Kaplan, White & Williams, Grubman Shire, Olshan
For anyone interested, so far I've found out Olshan is full and Ellenhoff doesn't take summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:42 am

What is the compensation at these firms?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the compensation at these firms?
From my research, most of these seem to be in the 95k-130k range for 1st year salary

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Olshan is $170k for a first year, no minimum billables (I’ve 1600/1700). Not sure if it there’s a bonus. I would give my left arm to work there.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Yea Olshan seems like a dream. I've reached out to alumni at all of these firms over the past few weeks and have been told almost all don't do summers and pretty much only hire big law laterals with like 2 years experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm in corporate at a V5 and we have had quite a few people leave for Davis & Gilbert. Not any of those other firms listed. Seems like a popular midlaw landing pad.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in corporate at a V5 and we have had quite a few people leave for Davis & Gilbert. Not any of those other firms listed. Seems like a popular midlaw landing pad.
D&G has a lot of great clients especially in media/tech.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”