(Plaintiff Side) Lit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: (Plaintiff Side) Lit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:21 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
unicorntamer666 wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which of these does a susbtantial amount of Plaintiff-side work?

Boies Schiller does.

In my opinion none of these firms does a substantial amount of plaintiff-side work - or, if they do, it's driven by economic opportunism, not a desire to be on the proverbial "right side of the v". At most of these firms you are just as likely to defend big pharma, Bill Cosby, or Harvey Weinstein (all real examples chosen from Boies and Quinn) as you are to litigate a plaintiff-side case. Some of these firms also count work for corporate plaintiffs (in, EG, patent cases) as "plaintiff's work." These firms are jacks-of-all-trades with a mercenary mentality, not plaintiffs firms.

If you're looking for a firm that makes it part of its mission to only represent individuals suing big companies for "doing bad things," you are talking about the likes of Lieff Cabraser. One could debate the social utility of even these firms (still not entirely clear to me personally - complicated economic question) - but Quinn, Susman, Boies, etc. are not among them.

FYI: There is no true plaintiff's firm that pays more than like $120K starting salary as far as I know.

This is certainly inaccurate.

examples?

kings84_wr

Silver

Re: (Plaintiff Side) Lit

Postby kings84_wr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:
unicorntamer666 wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which of these does a susbtantial amount of Plaintiff-side work?

Boies Schiller does.

In my opinion none of these firms does a substantial amount of plaintiff-side work - or, if they do, it's driven by economic opportunism, not a desire to be on the proverbial "right side of the v". At most of these firms you are just as likely to defend big pharma, Bill Cosby, or Harvey Weinstein (all real examples chosen from Boies and Quinn) as you are to litigate a plaintiff-side case. Some of these firms also count work for corporate plaintiffs (in, EG, patent cases) as "plaintiff's work." These firms are jacks-of-all-trades with a mercenary mentality, not plaintiffs firms.

If you're looking for a firm that makes it part of its mission to only represent individuals suing big companies for "doing bad things," you are talking about the likes of Lieff Cabraser. One could debate the social utility of even these firms (still not entirely clear to me personally - complicated economic question) - but Quinn, Susman, Boies, etc. are not among them.

FYI: There is no true plaintiff's firm that pays more than like $120K starting salary as far as I know.

This is certainly inaccurate.

examples?

I don't really want to name firms, but my comment was based on my own personal experience and my knowledge of what other people I know make in my region. I'm specifically talking about smaller firms that are particularly active in the Mass tort/MDL world (firms actually trying these cases and working on the steering committees). That being said, Plaintiff's side salaries are largely predicated on the firm's success for that year, so its pretty variable.

Return to “Legal Employment�