Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gaddockteeg
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby gaddockteeg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Randomly saw an ad from the FBI looking to recruit Special Agents with JDs.

I am a current Big Law Associate bored and wistfully daydreaming about joining.

Anybody have info? How is life? What's day-to-day like?

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 3224
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby RCSOB657 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:17 pm

You know, they could be vague posting, but I don't think we have one of those here? Might be best to ask one of their recruiters?????

andythefir
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby andythefir » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Biggest barrier if you were to actually join would be a >70% pay cut. But there are huge barriers to attorneys joining. You have to be able to pass a top secret security clearance, which includes a lie detector. Then you have to be able to pass the physical exam, be younger than 35, be able to find another job at 55 when you get retired. I’m sure it’s a cool and exciting job, but it would be a major shock to someone working biglaw.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28731
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:41 pm

andythefir wrote:Biggest barrier if you were to actually join would be a >70% pay cut. But there are huge barriers to attorneys joining. You have to be able to pass a top secret security clearance, which includes a lie detector. Then you have to be able to pass the physical exam, be younger than 35, be able to find another job at 55 when you get retired. I’m sure it’s a cool and exciting job, but it would be a major shock to someone working biglaw.

Wrt the bolded, though, you get a sweet pension and plenty of people are going to want to hire a former FBI agent.

lapolicia
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby lapolicia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:53 pm

In addition to the paycut, which would be much bigger than if you went into the federal government in an attorney position, you would also have minimal input about where you would be posted for the first 6 years or so. So be prepared to live in some less than desirable locations.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302912
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 am

It's a pretty rigorous physical exam if you aren't used to working out. There's also an insane background check that can last for a year or longer. But besides that, it seems like a pretty good gig if you can get it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302912
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 am

The background check is very extensive. Lets just say its not just looking at your records.

gaddockteeg
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby gaddockteeg » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's a pretty rigorous physical exam if you aren't used to working out. There's also an insane background check that can last for a year or longer. But besides that, it seems like a pretty good gig if you can get it.


This actually seems like the best part to me. I heard that you’re paid for a 50hr work week because you’re paid to work out. I’m in the gym (almost) everyday so I’m excited about this part lol.

lapolicia wrote:In addition to the paycut, which would be much bigger than if you went into the federal government in an attorney position, you would also have minimal input about where you would be posted for the first 6 years or so. So be prepared to live in some less than desirable locations.


Got it. This is probably what would stop me from doing it. I’m married so I don’t think I could move my wife around repeatedly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302912
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:35 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:Randomly saw an ad from the FBI looking to recruit Special Agents with JDs.

I am a current Big Law Associate bored and wistfully daydreaming about joining.

Anybody have info? How is life? What's day-to-day like?


Yep. So my SIL was an attorney who had worked as a prosecutor and in corporate. Her application process took over a year. She was in the advanced stages. Then one day, they called and said, "So...it turns out that your marijuana use in college was more than experimental. It was recreational. Thank you for your time. This ends your candidacy." And just like that, after she and my bro had been preparing which states he could practice law in/she could be assigned to...it was over.

One of her college roomies ratted her out that she was a bit of a stoner back in the day. BTW, this was 15+ years in the past, and that's how far back they dug.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302912
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anybody know anything about joining the FBI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:30 am

Yup. They will even spy on you.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.