What is taking firm so long? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
EnviroNerd

New

What is taking firm so long?

Post by EnviroNerd » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Hey Everyone, I had a callback with a NJ/NYC firm at the end of August. I've been in contact with the recruiting manager and one of the associates that interviewed me. The legal recruiting manager emailed me last week saying that the firm has not yet made any decisions regarding the summer associates. Does that mean they might not have a summer program anymore or they are just taking a ridiculously long time making decisions? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: What is taking firm so long?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:00 pm

EnviroNerd wrote:Hey Everyone, I had a callback with a NJ/NYC firm at the end of August. I've been in contact with the recruiting manager and one of the associates that interviewed me. The legal recruiting manager emailed me last week saying that the firm has not yet made any decisions regarding the summer associates. Does that mean they might not have a summer program anymore or they are just taking a ridiculously long time making decisions? Thanks!
It's likely you're on the waiting list.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:06 pm

They probably like you, but they've already made other offers, and are waiting to see how many other people accept/reject before they make additional waves of offers.

EnviroNerd

New

Post by EnviroNerd » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:40 am

So it's likely that they did make decisions already? I suspected that given how long it has been.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Yes, this happened to me, but luckily during the recruiting process the partner I had interviewed with was forthright about telling me that they'd made offers, and I too would receive one in the next wave, as long as X number of people rejected.

The good news is, people always turn down offers. How long ago was your CB? Have you followed up since?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Sorry, I just reread your post and it had answered my questions above.

That's strange to me then...they could be just taking a long time for whatever reason. Recruiting departments aren't always very large, and some firms require input from a handful of different people before an offer can go out. It's possible it's taking awhile if a partner has the final say or something, and said partner gets very busy with actual work.

Have you asked when they expect to make decisions by?

EnviroNerd

New

Post by EnviroNerd » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Yeah, my Career Development Office told me some firms just take an extremely long time with the hiring decisions. I asked for a timeframe but they didn't provide me with one, just that they hadn't made any decisions regarding the summer associates.

EnviroNerd

New

Post by EnviroNerd » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:22 pm

Is it normal for a midsize firm to take this long? They aren’t part of NALP if that helps.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:24 pm

EnviroNerd wrote:Is it normal for a midsize firm to take this long? They aren’t part of NALP if that helps.
If it's not a standard biglaw firm, then there really is no set "normal."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EnviroNerd

New

Post by EnviroNerd » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:33 pm

Fair point lol

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:55 pm

No, it is not normal for a firm to take four months to make a hiring decision. Just assume it's a ding and move on with life. In the exceedingly unlikely event that you are still under serious consideration and it works out, then it will be a nice surprise. Keep applying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”