What's going on with Andrews Kurth Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's going on with Andrews Kurth

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Looks like they lost a few partners in Houston recently, and there has been attrition each year. Will they be able to survive going forward? How is their status within the TX hierarchy as of late?

Anonymous User

Re: What's going on with Andrews Kurth

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:56 pm

They lost some huge corporate partners last month. Only a big merger can save them now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 am

What are your other options? They're slowly becoming on par with TK and below Bracewell imo. Lost a lot of people and capital markets heavy, which is killer when a down market hits again

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:23 pm

I thought they were merging with hunton and williams?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm

They've still get O'Leary but they lost the rest of the CapM partners to Sidley. This is just the way it's going. The national firms can just pay more. AK has a great culture and everyone I have ever known who works for AK just absolutely loves it there. VE is the only legacy Texas firm that seems to be hanging in there. Bracewell, AK, BB, NRF have all really taken it on the chin here. Similar deal going on up in Dallas. Times are a-changing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They've still get O'Leary but they lost the rest of the CapM partners to Sidley. This is just the way it's going. The national firms can just pay more. AK has a great culture and everyone I have ever known who works for AK just absolutely loves it there. VE is the only legacy Texas firm that seems to be hanging in there. Bracewell, AK, BB, NRF have all really taken it on the chin here. Similar deal going on up in Dallas. Times are a-changing.
Even then, V&E doesn't seem like the V&E of old. Haven't they lost partners to Latham in Houston and GDC in Dallas in the last decade?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Yeah and K&E.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Hell, Latham's even an old face now as they lose Darden to GDC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They've still get O'Leary but they lost the rest of the CapM partners to Sidley. This is just the way it's going. The national firms can just pay more. AK has a great culture and everyone I have ever known who works for AK just absolutely loves it there. VE is the only legacy Texas firm that seems to be hanging in there. Bracewell, AK, BB, NRF have all really taken it on the chin here. Similar deal going on up in Dallas. Times are a-changing.
Even then, V&E doesn't seem like the V&E of old. Haven't they lost partners to Latham in Houston and GDC in Dallas in the last decade?
Lost a lot of people, but most the good ones have stuck around. Firms are constantly changing because of attrition, but V&E feels more or less the same. Who knows what will happen in the coming years as more NY firms flood into Houston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lost a lot of people, but most the good ones have stuck around. Firms are constantly changing because of attrition, but V&E feels more or less the same. Who knows what will happen in the coming years as more NY firms flood into Houston.
Agreed, although V&E's lit department looks like it has shrunk significantly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Agreed, although V&E's lit department looks like it has shrunk significantly.
What is Lit? Most firms who move into town don't even waste their time. Smaller fees, creates more conflicts, etc. If you want to do lit, go to a boutique.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:17 pm

What is the Houston transactional practice hierarchy now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Overall general corp?

VE
KE/LW
BB
BG/Sidley
AK/TK

GDC too new to put anywhere

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the Houston transactional practice hierarchy now?
Also curious. Who has the best outlook for the future in HTX?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Overall general corp?

VE
KE/LW
BB
BG/Sidley
AK/TK

I am a midlevel in Houston transactional. I would agree with this generally. With slightly more credit to KE than LW only because they do so much more M&A, but capital markets probably even. Would include Willkie with Sidley, feel like they are the same. No clue about GDC have not heard one word about them since they opened. They did it wrong and will probably be with the likes of Skadden (which no one ever hears about either).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Senior associate in Dallas who works with a lot of Houston firms. I'd say my rankings would be:

VE/KE/LW
then a huge drop
BB/Sidley
Bracewell/AK
Akin Gump/TK/LL
then another big drop
NRF/HB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

VE
KE/LW
BB
BG/Sidley
AK/TK

I am a midlevel in Houston transactional. I would agree with this generally. With slightly more credit to KE than LW only because they do so much more M&A, but capital markets probably even. Would include Willkie with Sidley, feel like they are the same. No clue about GDC have not heard one word about them since they opened. They did it wrong and will probably be with the likes of Skadden (which no one ever hears about either).
Would you mind elaborating on this? I'm going to br summering in Houston and I heard from other attorneys during my callbacks that GDC followed in Latham's footsteps by poaching partners and building corporate rather than lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

VE
KE/LW
BB
BG/Sidley
AK/TK

Would you mind elaborating on this? I'm going to br summering in Houston and I heard from other attorneys during my callbacks that GDC followed in Latham's footsteps by poaching partners and building corporate rather than lit.
GDC did but they didn't offer signing bonuses. So they pulled exactly 0 good associates from Houston firms. They took a couple from BB I guess, but not the good ones. No idea what their "pull" was except an early sign that they were not going to compensate associates well. That office is not going to get to the level of LW or KE who offered huge incentives to make the move.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”