Are holiday parties mandatory?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Are holiday parties mandatory?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 am

I am a 2L that is going to be working at a secondary office of a v20. The class size is VERY small. I have been invited to the firm Christmas party, but it is right in the middle of exam time and I go to school on the other side of the country (think NY to CA). However, it is on a weekend, so it would be "doable"

I am a bit concerned with not attending because this is their first communication with me since accepting. But, on the other hand, it will be expensive to attend and cut a few days out of exam study time.

Thoughts?

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Re: Are holiday parties mandatory?

Postby NoLongerALurker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:36 am

Just say you’d love to make it but you’ll unfortunately be out of state at that time. Won’t be a big deal, and not worth traveling cross country for.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am

Yea you should not go to this. They send these out to everyone so that if someone happens to be in the area they can go, but virtually no one will remember/care whether or not you are there. Studying is more important.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 pm

IMO I think it would be weird if you flew across the country to attend a holiday party unless you were in town for some other reason (family).

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Definitely not expected, might even be odd if you came in town primarily for the party. This is assuming normal biglaw job, it's maybe different if you're at a small firm.

glitched

Silver

Postby glitched » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Lol see if they'll pay for it. Free trip across the country! I suppose that risks letting them know that you can actually make it though. But seriously, don't worry about not attending. It literally will not matter.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:39 pm

E-mail them back and say that you are in the middle of your exam period at school X across the country and will be unable to attend because you're preparing for exams. Seriously lol don't overthink this. I worked in a smallish office about 2-3 hours from where I go to school and had to miss their party for the exact reason.

It is no big deal and they will understand that you are doing exams (they did them too!). Also it would be super weird if you just flew in for that and told them that IMO.

smokeylarue

Silver

Postby smokeylarue » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm

It's absurd you even had to ask this question to be honest. If you actually flew across the country during exam season for a holiday party for a company you're not even a part of yet, I would truly question everything about you.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:57 pm

smokeylarue wrote:It's absurd you even had to ask this question to be honest. If you actually flew across the country during exam season for a holiday party for a company you're not even a part of yet, I would truly question everything about you.

Lol. Harsh but true.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 pm

glitched wrote:Lol see if they'll pay for it.

OP: Just in case you're inclined to take this suggestion seriously, don't ask the firm if they'll pay for it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:E-mail them back and say that you are in the middle of your exam period at school X across the country and will be unable to attend because you're preparing for exams.

This would be fine. It would also be fine not to respond at all. No one is expecting you to show up.

sparty99

Gold

Postby sparty99 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:59 pm

smokeylarue wrote:It's absurd you even had to ask this question to be honest. If you actually flew across the country during exam season for a holiday party for a company you're not even a part of yet, I would truly question everything about you.

I agree.....

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:01 pm

Even if it was in your city I wouldn't recommend going, honestly. Recruiting season is over and people may not be all that interested in chatting with someone who hasn't even been a summer associate yet.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 pm

It's awkward enough as a stubbie, can't imagine doing it without even working there full time.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Postby toast and bananas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:It's awkward enough as a stubbie, can't imagine doing it without even working there full time.

what kind of people do you work with that would make it awkward to attend a work party with actual coworkers just because you're new?

jd20132013

Silver

Postby jd20132013 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:16 pm

toast and bananas wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:It's awkward enough as a stubbie, can't imagine doing it without even working there full time.

what kind of people do you work with that would make it awkward to attend a work party with actual coworkers just because you're new?

Lawyers

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 pm

toast and bananas wrote:

Real talk: it may remain awkard even when you're no longer new.

Return to “Legal Employment?