Question for Milbank NY/DC associates re vacation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question for Milbank NY/DC associates re vacation

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:22 pm

LA associate here. They changed our vacation policy last week so we no longer accrue vacation as of 11/15 and will get paid out for all accrued and unused vacation through 11/15 on 11/30 with an unlimited policy moving forward.

What are the new policies in NY/DC? This seems weird to only be an LA thing. HR person here said she doesnt know what they are doing in those offices, but there were also changes.

Anonymous User

Re: Question for Milbank NY/DC associates re vacation

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:51 pm

The change for CA has a lot to do with CA state law in terms of vacation payouts. In NY, if you quit they don't have to pay you for accrued vacation (unless they've explicitly said they will), whereas in CA they do, regardless of any company policy. Unlimited vacation is a loophole to get around paying out for accrued vacation at termination.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The change for CA has a lot to do with CA state law in terms of vacation payouts. In NY, if you quit they don't have to pay you for accrued vacation (unless they've explicitly said they will), whereas in CA they do, regardless of any company policy. Unlimited vacation is a loophole to get around paying out for accrued vacation at termination.

Obviously I know that. While you are right about NY law, our firm has (had?) a policy to pay out unused but accrued vacation.

**Please only respond if you are at Milbank**

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:04 pm

In NY office. AFAIK there's been no change to the vacation policy so far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The change for CA has a lot to do with CA state law in terms of vacation payouts. In NY, if you quit they don't have to pay you for accrued vacation (unless they've explicitly said they will), whereas in CA they do, regardless of any company policy. Unlimited vacation is a loophole to get around paying out for accrued vacation at termination.

Obviously I know that. While you are right about NY law, our firm has (had?) a policy to pay out unused but accrued vacation.

Previous anon poster here. FYI, I am at Milbank. Also, I spoke with HR re the payout and was told that only the CA vacation policy changed...so it looks like there's some internal confusion.

Also, why does it matter what the NY/DC vacation policies are?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Previous anon poster here. FYI, I am at Milbank. Also, I spoke with HR re the payout and was told that only the CA vacation policy changed...so it looks like there's some internal confusion.

Also, why does it matter what the NY/DC vacation policies are?

Just seems weird to have LA associates get unlimited but continue to allow NY/DC associates to continue to accrue (with a payout upon termination/quit).

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:19 pm

nerds

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Interested to see what they do with your currently unused but already accrued vacation time. Technically impossible to “use” it since there is now an unlimited policy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Interested to see what they do with your currently unused but already accrued vacation time. Technically impossible to “use” it since there is now an unlimited policy.

We're getting a payout for all accrued but unused vacation time. Nice windfall in the short term, but would prefer the the old policy.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:39 am

Nebby wrote:nerds

Don’t do this, Nebby.

LaLiLuLeLo

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Good to see partners are still finding ways to cut costs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Good to see partners are still finding ways to cut costs.

Unless we all take more than 4 weeks of vacation annually...challenge accepted!

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Good to see partners are still finding ways to cut costs.

Joke's on them because I (and others I've spoken to) fully intend to take more than 4 weeks vacation now.

lol, I've said the same thing for years. If you do it'll be "work vacations" where you still bill 6 hours each day.

Return to “Legal Employment”