What % pay cut are you willing to take to go from V100 to in-house?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nealric

Re: What % pay cut are you willing to take to go from V100 to in-house?

Postby nealric » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Extremely difficult decision, but I ended up turning down this offer. I know it's a solid offer overall, but just feels like I'm leaving firm life too soon, since in 2-4 years AGC roles may be attainable. Sucks to be getting back on the hamster wheel again, but delayed gratification's a bitch...

"AGC Roles" is rather meaningless without qualifying by company and legal department size. Nobody is getting an AGC title at my company straight out of private practice unless they were a biglaw partner. By contrast, I'm sure there are startups with people straight out of law school with that title (or GC titles).

Companies also vary in use of titles. My company reserves that title for the people reporting directly to the GC- it's the top 2-3 people in the law department. I've heard of companies where every lawyer who is not the GC has an AGC title.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:39 am

Have a similar question to OP. I will be graduating from law school this year and am considering an assistant corporate counsel position with a major Fortune 100 company and a traditional big law job. The in-house position pays slightly lower base but has higher bonus and stock options, so the total salary is comparable to big law. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have a similar question to OP. I will be graduating from law school this year and am considering an assistant corporate counsel position with a major Fortune 100 company and a traditional big law job. The in-house position pays slightly lower base but has higher bonus and stock options, so the total salary is comparable to big law. Any thoughts or suggestions?

In house and never look back.

Return to “Legal Employment”