Foreign Placements and Visas - Hong Kong

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Foreign Placements and Visas - Hong Kong

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 pm

Does anyone have experience with doing a foreign placement in Hong Kong and what the visa requirements are? Our placement office didn't have much information on this and I'm not sure if this is something the hiring party handles or if I can just show up on as a tourist and leave/re-enter as my 90 days expire. I'm also unsure if a placement that doesn't pay but awards academic credit qualifies as "study" or "work" or both.

U.S. citizen here.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

worldtraveler

Re: Foreign Placements and Visas - Hong Kong

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:59 am

Have you gotten a job in HK? Get the job first and then your employer should handle the visa process or give you instructions on it. I also can't tell if you're talking about summer internships or firm jobs so your question is too vague to get any kind of answer

Anonymous User

Re: Foreign Placements and Visas - Hong Kong

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 pm

It's for a field placement/externship during the spring semester. And yes, I already obtained the position.

Return to “Legal Employment”