Interview scheduling delay? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
omegaweapon

Bronze

Interview scheduling delay?

Post by omegaweapon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:30 pm

A partner at a firm asked me to provide times I was free for a phone interview, and cc'd three other partners who are going to be on the call. It's been radio silent since.

A couple days later I sent an updated list of times based on other meetings I'd scheduled in the meantime. What should I do at this point? Should I keep following up as my availability changes, or just leave it and hope that they pick a time when I don't have another interview? I'm obviously happy to skip classes, but I have a bunch of client commitments this semester that keep popping up.

sparty99

Gold

Re: Interview scheduling delay?

Post by sparty99 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm

omegaweapon wrote:A partner at a firm asked me to provide times I was free for a phone interview, and cc'd three other partners who are going to be on the call. It's been radio silent since.

A couple days later I sent an updated list of times based on other meetings I'd scheduled in the meantime. What should I do at this point? Should I keep following up as my availability changes, or just leave it and hope that they pick a time when I don't have another interview? I'm obviously happy to skip classes, but I have a bunch of client commitments this semester that keep popping up.
Stop scheduling activities during the proposed times. You provided those times because you were available. If you make your schedule difficult, they will move on to the next candidate.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:48 pm

What are client commitments in the context of a current student?

If it is for a clinic or externship you should be focused on getting yourself a full time job and move the conflict, even if it inconveniences your professor or supervisor. If it is a paid school-year position you should still clear conflicts to make time for the interview but I'd be more gentle when you bring it up.

Sparty is right though, if three attorneys have worked to fit into your schedule already it's going to be extremely irritating if not disqualifying to go back to them and change your schedule, particularly for a "client commitment" when you are a student and are supposed to have more flexibility than the interviewers do.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:54 pm

sparty99 wrote:
omegaweapon wrote:A partner at a firm asked me to provide times I was free for a phone interview, and cc'd three other partners who are going to be on the call. It's been radio silent since.

Stop scheduling activities during the proposed times. You provided those times because you were available. If you make your schedule difficult, they will move on to the next candidate.
Agreed.

omegaweapon

Bronze

Post by omegaweapon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:07 pm

2014 wrote:What are client commitments in the context of a current student?

If it is for a clinic or externship you should be focused on getting yourself a full time job and move the conflict, even if it inconveniences your professor or supervisor. If it is a paid school-year position you should still clear conflicts to make time for the interview but I'd be more gentle when you bring it up.

Sparty is right though, if three attorneys have worked to fit into your schedule already it's going to be extremely irritating if not disqualifying to go back to them and change your schedule, particularly for a "client commitment" when you are a student and are supposed to have more flexibility than the interviewers do.
Paid thing at a small firm.

I get that interviews need to be my number one priority, but it's a really difficult position when it takes them a while to get back and my job wants to keep scheduling me to do things. Don't want to burn bridges there by keeping myself 100% free for interviews all the time. I guess that's what I need to do though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:27 pm

It might be difficult for you, but that's the way it works. It can be extremely tough to find a day and time where four partners are all available, and if you keep changing the target they might very well just move onto the next candidate who isn't as difficult to schedule an interview with. For the most part, applicants are pretty fungible.

You'll find similar scheduling difficulties once you get into practice. . . .

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:50 pm

I don't think you have to keep yourself free, i think you just need to balance the needs of both by (a) replying with times of availability that you think will be free, (b) trying to maneuver scheduling of things that are in your control around the windows you proposed and (c) after the law firm confirms a time, very nicely and apologetically explain to the small firm that you have a one-off interview that can't be rescheduled. Not like they are going to fire you for it and even if they are irrationally irritated it'll last like 2 days max. If they aren't going to hire you full time you gotta find someone who will, easy as that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”