Which looks better on a resume for big law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which looks better on a resume for big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Deciding between a judicial internship in the district court for DC or circuit court for non-DC.

Which would be a "better opportunity?"

Anonymous User

Re: Which looks better on a resume for big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 pm

I did DDC and it was a fantastic opportunity. There is the summer speaker series where you get to have lunch with some of the most significant people/lawyers in DC.

During my summer, we had multiple former U.S. Attorney Generals, multiple former Solicitor Generals, etc that come to eat lunch and talk to interns/clerks about their careers.

Just that was worth the price of admission.

As an aside, make sure you find out from others about the Judge on the D.D.C. Some treat interns really well, while others treat them not so well, dont even know who they are, and never let them go see hearings/go to the lunch talks. It makes a significant difference who you work for there as a summer intern because of that.

Edit: it also makes a difference for where you want to work. Almost every summer intern I know from my summer at the D.D.C. wanted to stay in DC (and did). But I wouldn't go to the DDC if the COA is in the area you want to work.

Also, this is really judge dependent. There are judges on the DDC I would never want to intern for, but some COA judges are also like that. Also take into account you likely won't be doing anything at a COA during the summer, while at a district court there is at least usually something interesting happening at any given time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:30 pm

what's a circuit court for non-DC? like federal 9th or 2nd circuit?

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 pm

it's more than likely that none of your screeners will care
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:17 am

runinthefront wrote:it's more than likely that none of your screeners will care

I do callbacks at a NYC V20 in lit and would not care and probably would not even notice. Go wherever you think you will have the better experience.

The expectations for 1L summer are really low.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:4.0

Return to “Legal Employment�