Signs you're doing badly in BigLaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
joanneofarc

New

Signs you're doing badly in BigLaw?

Postby joanneofarc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:01 pm

1st year here. In general, I get little or no feedback on the work I hand in. How do I know if I'm doing well? Doing badly? How do you guys read the tea leaves?

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Re: Signs you're doing badly in BigLaw?

Postby unlicensedpotato » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 pm

First year or stub? You'll start getting more unsolicited feedback but I've also heard people say to ask how they did on a large assignment immediately after they've wrapped it up.

Assuming you aren't on a cravath-style rotation, you'll know you're doing good enough if you keep getting work.

From my experiences as a junior, the partner won't necessarily notice much of a difference on an assignment that I think I did poorly versus one I think I knocked out of the park. Only rarely will you have the chance to really shine or really flop.

joanneofarc

New

Postby joanneofarc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Stub year.

jd20132013

Silver

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm

as a stub year if you give enough of a shit to ask this question and not blowing deadlines you're definitely doing fine

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:33 pm

If you're not hearing any feedback but still receiving work from that same partner/senior associate, you're doing fine.

If you're not hearing any feedback and have stopped receiving work from that partner/senior associate (assuming they are decently busy), you were probably bad and they wanted to find a different junior.

If the partner/senior associate asked you to redo some of your assignments, they were probably bad.

If you have stopped receiving work from everyone, then you're doing really bad.

Just my 2 cents.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:03 pm

Yeah no one's going to give any feedback on your work as a stub, just show effort and have a good attitude.

In some sense, the main risk you have to look bad as a stub is if you're bugging people for work and/or feedback.

jkpolk

Silver

Postby jkpolk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:34 am

Life is human relationships. Find a 1st/2nd year in your practice group. Go out to drinks. Get to know them. Ask them about life. Do that a lot. Find out what works for you.

Return to “Legal Employment�