Background checks at FTC, FCC, and FEC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Background checks at FTC, FCC, and FEC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm seeking summer employment with the FTC, FCC, and FEC this summer. I've used recreational drugs in the last year (marijuana and others). Can anyone who's been through their summer hiring process tell me if they'll ask about this? I'm not applying to DOJ or State because I know I'll be an auto ding, but am hoping that not all govt. employment is foreclosed to me.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Background checks at FTC, FCC, and FEC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Also wondering about SEC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:17 pm

talk to your law school career office

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:36 pm

The FTC uses the SF-85 for its background check of entry level attorneys (https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF85.pdf). This form asks about drug use in the past year. I don't know if/how the background check process differs for paid summer interns, or for unpaid summer interns.

This should go without saying, but if you're serious about working for the federal government, you should not use drugs anymore.

Return to “Legal Employment�