DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Received an offer from EOIR-OCIJ

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer from EOIR-OCIJ


Can you elaborate? Were you offered before finalist designation or were you designated a finalist, then given an offer?

Also, was the offer via phone or email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you know which court that was?


I'm not comfortable sharing the specifics because there's often only one or two in a court, but they're going to Texas.


So they accepted?


Also were they designated as finalists before getting offers? cause it seems weird that everyone now got a finalist designation but some didn't?


Yes, they accepted. They are not the type to obsessively check the internet so I doubt if they know about the finalist designation. (no judgement, I clearly am the type).

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer from EOIR-OCIJ


Can you elaborate? Were you offered before finalist designation or were you designated a finalist, then given an offer?

Also, was the offer via phone or email?


I was designated a finalist on Monday and received an offer via email on Wednesday in the afternoon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:52 am

Recieved an offer from the Tax Division on Tuesday.

But now I find myself in a bit of a dilemma: I accepted an offer at a regional office of the DOL SOL earlier in the year. Does anyone have any idea how asking to split the summer between the regional DOL and DOJ SLIP would go over???

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recieved an offer from the Tax Division on Tuesday.

But now I find myself in a bit of a dilemma: I accepted an offer at a regional office of the DOL SOL earlier in the year. Does anyone have any idea how asking to split the summer between the regional DOL and DOJ SLIP would go over???


Congrats! I also received a tax offer and was told I could go for as little as 6 weeks. So if the DOL lets you split, I think it should be fine? They don't let you work on the criminal side if you don't do a longer term (12 weeks), though. At least that was the impression I got.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Recieved an offer from the Tax Division on Tuesday.

But now I find myself in a bit of a dilemma: I accepted an offer at a regional office of the DOL SOL earlier in the year. Does anyone have any idea how asking to split the summer between the regional DOL and DOJ SLIP would go over???


Congrats! I also received a tax offer and was told I could go for as little as 6 weeks. So if the DOL lets you split, I think it should be fine? They don't let you work on the criminal side if you don't do a longer term (12 weeks), though. At least that was the impression I got.


Did you guys get desigated finalists first, or just get the offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Recieved an offer from the Tax Division on Tuesday.

But now I find myself in a bit of a dilemma: I accepted an offer at a regional office of the DOL SOL earlier in the year. Does anyone have any idea how asking to split the summer between the regional DOL and DOJ SLIP would go over???


Congrats! I also received a tax offer and was told I could go for as little as 6 weeks. So if the DOL lets you split, I think it should be fine? They don't let you work on the criminal side if you don't do a longer term (12 weeks), though. At least that was the impression I got.


Did you guys get desigated finalists first, or just get the offers?


I was designated a finalist first. I didn't check Avue until about 2 hours before I received my call, so I don't know how long my designation was there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:18 pm

No movement/updates today? :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Those of you who received an offer, did your status change to "Offer Issued" or did it remain "Finalist?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who received an offer, did your status change to "Offer Issued" or did it remain "Finalist?"


Mine still says finalist for Tax. Did anyone get anything in writing from Tax or just the call? I got the call with an offer last Tuesday and was told I have 30 days to accept.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who received an offer, did your status change to "Offer Issued" or did it remain "Finalist?"


Mine says finalist as well

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who received an offer, did your status change to "Offer Issued" or did it remain "Finalist?"
Mine just went straight to “offer issued”

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who received an offer, did your status change to "Offer Issued" or did it remain "Finalist?"


Mine remained "Finalist." I'm also a Tax candidate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who received an offer, did your status change to "Offer Issued" or did it remain "Finalist?"


Mine remained "Finalist." I'm also a Tax candidate.


Did you get anything in writing from them or just a phone call so far?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Received OCIJ offer via email this afternoon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Congrats everyone!

Has anyone heard from / been designated a finalist of PRAO?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who received an offer, did your status change to "Offer Issued" or did it remain "Finalist?"


Mine remained "Finalist." I'm also a Tax candidate.


Did you get anything in writing from them or just a phone call so far?


Just a phone call. Were we supposed to receive something in writing? I accepted the offer via e-mail.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Update from OCIJ - I just called and Celia said offers have started going out, people have been declining, offers will continue to go out, and will keep rolling until all courts are filled. She said there have been instances where up until February, someone reneges their offer after accepting it, so it's not over until its over.

Cheers to those, like me, who are still waiting for that email - also confirmed, offers for OCIJ go out by email from the Senior Attorneys at HQ.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:36 pm

has anyone heard anything from ATR in DC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard anything from ATR in DC?


I have a friend who said she accepted an offer with Antitrust in DC

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who received an offer, did your status change to "Offer Issued" or did it remain "Finalist?"


Mine remained "Finalist." I'm also a Tax candidate.


Did you get anything in writing from them or just a phone call so far?


Just a phone call. Were we supposed to receive something in writing? I accepted the offer via e-mail.


Did you just respond back to the person you interviewed with? I interviewed for Tax with one person and got a call from another. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who received an offer, did your status change to "Offer Issued" or did it remain "Finalist?"


Mine remained "Finalist." I'm also a Tax candidate.


Did you get anything in writing from them or just a phone call so far?


Just a phone call. Were we supposed to receive something in writing? I accepted the offer via e-mail.


Did you just respond back to the person you interviewed with? I interviewed for Tax with one person and got a call from another. Thanks!


Same! the person who offered was different from my interviewer. She told me to respond back to her number or email, so I assumed that was the procedure. She replied with an email after I accepted.

To be clearer, I responded to the person who called with an offer. Hope that helps!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:58 pm

Does anyone have an idea of how likely reneging a SLIP offer will negatively affect my chances for the Honors Program next year?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302892
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have an idea of how likely reneging a SLIP offer will negatively affect my chances for the Honors Program next year?


You should call your contact person and ask. It may depend on a component-by-component basis. I know for OCIJ, the contact person seemed to indicate SLIP candidates reneging offers happens (how often - I'm not sure; how they deal with it - I'm not sure either...But it does happen.)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.