DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:41 pm

SLIP question:

What is everyone else’s status looking like? I’m clueless as to where I stand at the moment. Was originally selected by Civ & EOIR/OCIJ. A couple of weeks later, I received an email from OCIJ stating I was under further consideration & asking for my location preference. I never received any further contact from Civil. Is everyone else in limbo, or is the subsequent lack of contact just an indication that I’m probably no longer under consideration?

SLIPAPP
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby SLIPAPP » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SLIP question:

What is everyone else’s status looking like? I’m clueless as to where I stand at the moment. Was originally selected by Civ & EOIR/OCIJ. A couple of weeks later, I received an email from OCIJ stating I was under further consideration & asking for my location preference. I never received any further contact from Civil. Is everyone else in limbo, or is the subsequent lack of contact just an indication that I’m probably no longer under consideration?



Same here! I was contacted a few weeks ago by OCIJ for my location preferences and haven't heard anything yet! Does anyone know if OCIJ does interviews for SLIP?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I really wish that we could limit this thread to the HONORS program, and have a separate thread for the SLIP program. Despite being the same application (more or less), they actually have very different processes after that fact. (Speaking as a former SLIP and current DOJ Honors applicant.)

Yeah I've been thinking this for a while. If a slip person could make a new thread it would be greatly appreciated.


I might be biased as a SLIP person but I think after the applications which are similar, the movements by the DOJ seem to be staggered enough so that heavy SLIP discussion comes when there isn’t much HP discussion and vice versa which keeps the thread on the first page in slow times for either group.

I also like that HP people often answer SLIP questions. It benefits SLIP people to be in the same thread, though I can see how it could frustrate HP people.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28733
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:10 pm

I get your point, but it can be super frustrating to see the thread bumped and think there's more info about HP available, to find that it's something about SLIP. It's easy enough to read both threads and if HP people who know about SLIP are the type to want to answer questions they'll probably just check this thread out anyway.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:11 am

I don't know the situation, but based on my experience, I don't think not hearing anything is any indication of being removed from consideration.

I got a Tax interview pretty early on, had references checked, etc. They told me that not receiving an offer early on was not something to be worried about, because they typically move slowly (I'm sure HP hiring is a priority moreso than SLIP).

I also received a Civ email regarding consideration, never got a confirmation email for an interview, and received a phone call the other day out of the blue saying "Good afternoon _______, are you ready for your interview?" So... the lesson here is to keep your phone on at all times?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:08 am

I don't know if this helps, but when I was a SLIP last summer, on November 1st (which was a Tuesday) I got two separate emails on the same day: one was from OICJ offering me a a position at an immigration court outright (no interview) and one was from a different component at EOIR asking me if I wanted an interview.

And I am pretty sure that my housemate, who was also a SLIP but in a different immigration court, heard back earlier than I did.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if this helps, but when I was a SLIP last summer, on November 1st (which was a Tuesday) I got two separate emails on the same day: one was from OICJ offering me a a position at an immigration court outright (no interview) and one was from a different component at EOIR asking me if I wanted an interview.

And I am pretty sure that my housemate, who was also a SLIP but in a different immigration court, heard back earlier than I did.


That is super helpful thank you so much! I was selected for OCIJ and then submitted my additional information, including writing sample and transcripts, a week later by the required date. A day after submitting that I received an email asking to send in my geographical preferences. Those were due by October 27th.

Was that the same process for you? and if so, how long after you submitted your preferences did you receive the emails?

Really hoping I don't have to do an interview and just go straight through!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:40 pm

Same former SLIP as above - I submitted my supplementary materials on 10/15/16.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:01 pm

Has Antitrust done interviews at all? I haven't heard hide nor hair from them since I submitted materials after being seected. I don't think I have seen anyone else with interviews either. I'm going after one of the feild offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:05 am

From the avenue community page.


Greetings, all:

The Honors Program interviews are complete (for formal participants, anyway). If you traveled or have any reimbursable expenses, please submit a reimbursement request as soon as possible. We prefer submissions within 5 days of completion of travel, as we have to deal with multiple charges to government credit cards. And we know most of you want your money back, right?

SLIP interviews are still ongoing. It just takes longer for the SLIP since it is decentralized.


NEXT STEPS: Components will identify their finalists and notify OARM. Finalists include first-round offer candidates and alternates. OARM will update online status as finalists are selected. Please note that components may request offer clearance at any time, although for most, there's a period of time to accommodate reference checks, etc. Some components conduct reference checks prior to identifying finalists; some do it afterward. It's at the component's discretion.

Our goal is to identify HP finalists and get them cleared for offers before Thanksgiving. Please note that the mere fact that a component identifies finalists does not necessarily mean that offers will go out immediately. Some components, like EOIR, do very thorough reference checks before extending offers.

Best of luck to all!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Has Anyone from EOIR had an interview yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has Anyone from EOIR had an interview yet?


I received an offer from the EOIR-OCIJ without interviewing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has Anyone from EOIR had an interview yet?


I received an offer from the EOIR-OCIJ without interviewing.


Would you mind sharing stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:16 pm

My friend received an offer for SLIP for the immigration courts without interviewing (earlier this week, I think).

I think the timeline and processing is somewhat court specific.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My friend received an offer for SLIP for the immigration courts without interviewing (earlier this week, I think).

I think the timeline and processing is somewhat court specific.



Do you know which court that was?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has Anyone from EOIR had an interview yet?


I received an offer from the EOIR-OCIJ without interviewing.


Would you mind sharing stats?


When did you hear from them? my references were checked earlier this week but I have not had an interview yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Do you know which court that was?


I'm not comfortable sharing the specifics because there's often only one or two in a court, but they're going to Texas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has Anyone from EOIR had an interview yet?


I received an offer from the EOIR-OCIJ without interviewing.


Would you mind sharing stats?


When did you hear from them? my references were checked earlier this week but I have not had an interview yet.


How are you alerted when references are checked? I received the email that asked for location preferences, but have had no further contact.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has Anyone from EOIR had an interview yet?


I received an offer from the EOIR-OCIJ without interviewing.


Would you mind sharing stats?


When did you hear from them? my references were checked earlier this week but I have not had an interview yet.


How are you alerted when references are checked? I received the email that asked for location preferences, but have had no further contact.


My references reached out to be and told me that they were asked to submit something

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:14 pm

AVUE status changed to "Finalist" for EOIR-OCIJ.

No email. Haven't been contacted yet. Not sure if references have been contacted. Anyone in my situation?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:AVUE status changed to "Finalist" for EOIR-OCIJ.

No email. Haven't been contacted yet. Not sure if references have been contacted. Anyone in my situation?



Same here! says finalist on mine as well!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:22 pm

My component is now not showing - did that happen to anyone else?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My component is now not showing - did that happen to anyone else?


Which component?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302855
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Tax

Anonymous567
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Re: DOJ SLIP - summer 2018

Postby Anonymous567 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My component is now not showing - did that happen to anyone else?


Which component?


Tax




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.