What should my next job be?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What should my next job be?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm a mid-level in lit at a big NYC firm. I graduated from a T14 with good but not amazing grades and a substantial amount of debt that's not yet paid off, clerked on a top district court (think SDNY/EDNY/CDCA/DDC), mostly liked my firm job and got good experience -- I've taken depositions and been to trial, but have not taken testimony in court -- and good reviews (and would have good recommendations), but I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to, which makes me think maybe it's time to do something else. I don't want to be a prosecutor, and I think I would find criminal defense law emotionally taxing.

So, TLS, what should I do?

abogadesq

Silver

Re: What should my next job be?

Postby abogadesq » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:18 pm

Are you open to litigation in a different area of law (besides criminal) or want out of lit entirely?

RCSOB657

Gold

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a mid-level in lit at a big NYC firm. I graduated from a T14 with good but not amazing grades and a substantial amount of debt that's not yet paid off, clerked on a top district court (think SDNY/EDNY/CDCA/DDC), mostly liked my firm job and got good experience -- I've taken depositions and been to trial, but have not taken testimony in court -- and good reviews (and would have good recommendations), but I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to, which makes me think maybe it's time to do something else. I don't want to be a prosecutor, and I think I would find criminal defense law emotionally taxing.

Run for political office.

E: wth? Wth made you think I was joking?
Last edited by RCSOB657 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:25 pm

abogadesq wrote:Are you open to litigation in a different area of law (besides criminal) or want out of lit entirely?

OP here. Totally open to doing litigation somewhere else, or going to government, or whatever. I want to hear everyone's crazy ideas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a mid-level in lit at a big NYC firm. I graduated from a T14 with good but not amazing grades and a substantial amount of debt that's not yet paid off, clerked on a top district court (think SDNY/EDNY/CDCA/DDC), mostly liked my firm job and got good experience -- I've taken depositions and been to trial, but have not taken testimony in court -- and good reviews (and would have good recommendations), but I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to, which makes me think maybe it's time to do something else. I don't want to be a prosecutor, and I think I would find criminal defense law emotionally taxing.

Run for political office.

For various reasons, I would make a really bad candidate for office.

Edit: This is OP.

abogadesq

Silver

Postby abogadesq » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
abogadesq wrote:Are you open to litigation in a different area of law (besides criminal) or want out of lit entirely?

OP here. Totally open to doing litigation somewhere else, or going to government, or whatever. I want to hear everyone's crazy ideas.

Feds tend to have quite a few employment law attorney positions open at any given time. Its steady, secure work and you work less hours than in a firm, though it's always a grind when you're prepping for a trial. It pays 6 figures too with only a few years in.

Return to “Legal Employment�