1L Summer for Plaintiff-Side Litigation?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer for Plaintiff-Side Litigation?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Struggling to find resources on what kinds of things I should try to do this summer. I'm at a T14 law school on a full ride. No grades obviously but I'd expect somewhere close to median. Goal is to do plaintiff-side litigation particularly for civil rights issues and housing issues. I'm open to the private sector or the public sector though I know the private sector is super competitive and small in this field.

What should I be applying for this summer? Judicial externship? ACLU/impact lit? Legal aid? Firm (I'm "diverse")?

Funding not an issue. No geographic restrictions. Help.

adil91

Silver

Re: 1L Summer for Plaintiff-Side Litigation?

Postby adil91 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:27 pm

The Peggy Browning Fund offers fellowships for 1Ls and 2Ls for summer internships in Plaintiff's-side labor and employment offices. I would look into that.

k5220

Bronze

Postby k5220 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:17 pm

For civil rights and housing issues work (like with a lot of public interest work), employers will be looking for a demonstrated commitment to that area of work. Your 1L summer and any volunteer work you do through student organizations during law school will do a lot to establish that "demonstrated commitment," so anything you could do related to civil rights/housing to build up your resume in that area would be ideal.

Your school may offer funding for 1L public interest summers, which should open up a lot of opportunities. Plenty of nonprofit tenants rights organizations hire 1Ls, the ACLU sometimes hires 1Ls, there are other nonprofits focused on civil rights like the Center for Constitutional Rights that occasionally hire 1Ls, there are government agencies like the DOL Office of Civil Rights and the EEOC that hire 1Ls. Your school's career office should be able to help you come up with some ideas of where to apply based on your specific preferences and geographic area.

flashdril

New

Postby flashdril » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:24 am

Edelson in Chicago occasionally hires 1L SAs. They do plaintiff-side class action against tech companies for privacy violations.

The office is really casual.

But I wouldn't expect to get it with median grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Anything public interest in civil rights/housing is fine. You should know, however, that there very few civil rights/housing private public interest firms, and they tend to be very focused on traditional credentials like grades/school in addition to public interest experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:10 pm

OP here. Thanks for your advice!

Looks like I better pray that I'm doing better in 1L than I'm guessing...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for your advice!

Looks like I better pray that I'm doing better in 1L than I'm guessing...

No problem. I did a similar search for my 2L summer and it was hard to get questions answered because there's not much info on these places.

You want to be looking at places like Relman, Dane, & Colfax (this should be number 1 on your list if you're interested in housing), Altshuler Berzon, Emery Celli, Gupta Wessler (won't happen unless you're a legit SCOTUS clerkship candidate), Loevy & Loevy, and Neufeld Scheck & Brustin. These places are tiny (no more than 5 summers per class) and very selective, as people have suggested. Hiring differs: some post publicly on their website, some do OCI at selected T14s, and some hire largely by word of mouth. These places almost exclusively hire 2Ls and fill their classes around August-September, so start looking around then for summer 2019. Note that these places almost never make full time offers: the expectation is that you'll clerk and maybe do something else before applying for a full time position there.

I should really write up a longer post on my search...

Return to “Legal Employment�