Talking about interviews as a 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Talking about interviews as a 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:15 pm

This is not meant to be a bragging post and I'm hoping it doesn't come across as that. I don't have any lawyers in my family so I'm unsure how to take certain comments from big law attorneys that I have met at networking events.

A couple seemed really impressed with me because of past work experience, and they said that I should definitely reach out when I apply so they can make sure I get an interview. All of this sounds wonderful and great but does this work irl? I know that their offers probably won't have any weight if I get below median at a T-14.. but at the very least it wouldn't be weird to mention their names in a cover letter when applying, right?

fjksjd;fks #novice1Lproblems I just want a job

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Talking about interviews as a 1L

Postby UVA2B » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I sincerely doubt you're reading this situation right, but I'll pretend you are. If practicing attorneys really take a shine to you, you absolutely need to leverage those relationships to get a job. This could be your legitimate in to jobs you might not otherwise get.

In case you're overestimating the interactions you had at networking events: relax. From the attorney side of these events, they are trying to sell/promote their firm to potential associate candidates for a number of reasons. They're going to make you feel good about your resume because they want you to apply to the firm. It's not because you're special, or that you've done something extraordinary, but because they know that networking on their side of things is about showing an interest in law students to bring them in for interviewing for SAs. The firm wants the best candidates they can get, so they're not going to dismiss people at a networking event. In fact, they're going to ingratiate themselves to more than the firm could ever possibly need.

You're not bragging. But I think you're wrong in gauging firm interest in you as a 1L.

merde_happens

New

Postby merde_happens » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is not meant to be a bragging post and I'm hoping it doesn't come across as that. I don't have any lawyers in my family so I'm unsure how to take certain comments from big law attorneys that I have met at networking events.

A couple seemed really impressed with me because of past work experience, and they said that I should definitely reach out when I apply so they can make sure I get an interview. All of this sounds wonderful and great but does this work irl? I know that their offers probably won't have any weight if I get below median at a T-14.. but at the very least it wouldn't be weird to mention their names in a cover letter when applying, right?

fjksjd;fks #novice1Lproblems I just want a job

I would not put their names in a cover letter. I would reach out to them when you're applying. If their interest is genuine then they will reach out to recruiting on your behalf.

flashdril

New

Postby flashdril » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:08 am

Both of the above posts are correct advice.

Also.

Just chill out.

You want to have an application ready to go out on December 1st, but you cannot let this be such a big deal to you. Your grades matter infinitely more than this and infinitely more than your 1L job. I was an RA for a professor after striking out on 1L SA jobs and it was the best thing that could have happened to me, and after OCI I essentially had my pick of elite firms in my chosen market. I didn't go to a single networking event my 1L year. All that matters right now are your grades.

Return to “Legal Employment�