Curly hair and interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Curly hair and interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

I have been on countless interviews, get a lot of call backs, but can’t seem to cinch the offer. My friend who has had a similar problem has started getting professional blow outs before interviews and has had much better results. I have curly, thick hair. I usually wear it neat and half up. Could this be hurting me? I always thought as long as my hair was neat it shouldn’t matter but she received offers after getting professionally coiffed.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Curly hair and interviews

Postby TLSModBot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Provided that it is clean and somewhat professional looking, no one gives a shit about your hair

lurklaw

Silver

Postby lurklaw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Fabergé. It’s Fabergé Organics. Use the shampoo and conditioner, and when your hair’s damp--it's not wet, OK--when it’s damp, you do four puffs of the Farrah Fawcett spray.

TheBlueDevil

New

Postby TheBlueDevil » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:02 pm

lurklaw wrote:Fabergé. It’s Fabergé Organics. Use the shampoo and conditioner, and when your hair’s damp--it's not wet, OK--when it’s damp, you do four puffs of the Farrah Fawcett spray.

Sick reference bro

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Provided that it is clean and somewhat professional looking, no one gives a shit about your hair

Of course a woman's hairstyle is going to have an impact in interviews.

ETA: I definitely agree with people that this very unlikely to be the reason for not getting offers. OP, you should do whatever makes you confident going into interviews -- that's the biggest thing.
Last edited by unlicensedpotato on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm

I have seen a lot of debate about whether employers see curly hair as unprofessional, even though it shouldn’t matter in the slightest, and I really doubt that the blowouts are the only thing making the difference in your friend’s success, but if you’re going to worry/be self conscious about your hair now you might try it and see what happens. I doubt you need to, but in case it will make you feel more secure. (If it will make you feel weird and unlike yourself and resentful of the whole process, don’t bother.)

smile0751

Bronze

Postby smile0751 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:40 pm

Maybe talk to Career Services? If they are good, they'll give you an honest answer. Without knowing you, I don't think your hair is holding you back.

Maybe your friend's hairstyle gave her more confidence which came across in the interviews? Maybe she also changed some of her answers to questions in addition to doing her hair differently? Maybe correlation isnt causation and this is all a coincidence?

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Postby DorkothyParker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:11 pm

[quote="Anonymous User I usually wear it neat and half up. [/quote]

I'm a 0L, but I work as a bank manager and do hiring in my current job. What do you mean by, "half up?" I ask because there is a weird bun thing with loose hair that I see younger women doing and I do honestly regard that hairstyle as a bit youthful and less professional. Though, it would never be a deal-breaker.
Also, make sure all the hair if dry. Wet hair, even in a neat and tight bun, looks lazy.
No one looks childish or lazy with a tight chignon, I'll say that.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:12 pm

I don't think anybody/the vast majority of people care, but I wouldn't be surprised if appearance plays a larger role than it should, largely subconsciously, particularly for women.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:16 pm

It might not matter in the abstract (debatable), but if you feel like it's messing with your confidence, then get the blow-out. Having/not having confidence is much more important than how curly your hair is.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:37 pm

if you're not closing on "a lot of callbacks" it's not the hair. i can see how one person's opinion on a screener may be swayed by hair, but not multiple, and not at the callback stage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 pm

pancakes3 wrote:if you're not closing on "a lot of callbacks" it's not the hair. i can see how one person's opinion on a screener may be swayed by hair, but not multiple, and not at the callback stage.

Not the above anon, but have the same issue... and CDO has not been helpful. Any typical red flags? instant dings?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:52 pm

I have very unruly hair 3b/c curls and was doing callbacks in hot humid weather causing a TON of frizz. I also went with the half up hairstyle at every single CB. I was not having good hair days by my standards but got ⅞ offers and that was a way better result than what my grades would call for. I am sorry but it is not your hair that is the issue. Not having a job sucks I know but don’t give up and don’t blame the hair. Something else is the issue. :/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:05 pm

As long as it's neat, don't change your hair because of what it might make an interviewer think, because it likely won't matter.

However, if you're going to be distracted by being worried about it, you might as well fix it. Your discomfort might be coming across non-verbally during the interview.

jd20132013

Silver

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have very unruly hair 3b/c curls and was doing callbacks in hot humid weather causing a TON of frizz. I also went with the half up hairstyle at every single CB. I was not having good hair days by my standards but got ⅞ offers and that was a way better result than what my grades would call for. I am sorry but it is not your hair that is the issue. Not having a job sucks I know but don’t give up and don’t blame the hair. Something else is the issue. :/

This was very kind of you to say--added a lot.

Return to “Legal Employment?