1L Summer Job Transcript Submission Timing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheBlueDevil

New

1L Summer Job Transcript Submission Timing

Postby TheBlueDevil » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Most of the 1L summer jobs I've looked at want a copy of a my law school transcript, but I think I'd like to submit my applications before my transcript becomes available. As a general practice, is this acceptable to 1L summer employers who request transcripts with applications? Or do I need to contact each employer to ensure that doing so is acceptable? Should I note in my cover letter that I intend to submit my transcript once it becomes available?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: 1L Summer Job Transcript Submission Timing

Postby UVA2B » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:16 pm

It's normal. Apply with your other materials and tell them you'll provide transcripts as soon as they become available.

MrT

Bronze

Postby MrT » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 pm

TheBlueDevil wrote:Most of the 1L summer jobs I've looked at want a copy of a my law school transcript, but I think I'd like to submit my applications before my transcript becomes available. As a general practice, is this acceptable to 1L summer employers who request transcripts with applications? Or do I need to contact each employer to ensure that doing so is acceptable? Should I note in my cover letter that I intend to submit my transcript once it becomes available?

If I remember correctly, 1Ls can begin submitting applications 12/1. Any employer that (1) accepts applications this early and (2) requests a transcript will necessarily understand that you will not have grades until January. When you get your grades, you can submit an addendum to your application.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:23 pm

TheBlueDevil wrote:Most of the 1L summer jobs I've looked at want a copy of a my law school transcript, but I think I'd like to submit my applications before my transcript becomes available. As a general practice, is this acceptable to 1L summer employers who request transcripts with applications? Or do I need to contact each employer to ensure that doing so is acceptable? Should I note in my cover letter that I intend to submit my transcript once it becomes available?

Definitely don’t wait. If you’re looking at 1L SAs somewhere like Texas where they’re common, you should apply December 1st and then update. Most firms start interviewing, and some even hire, before they see grades.

flashdril

New

Postby flashdril » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:04 pm

are you at Duke for law school?

If so, the career office has a model unofficial transcript. It's in the toolkit. Plug your current classes into it, leaving the grades blank, and send it with your application.

Return to “Legal Employment?