Negotiating a Lateral Job Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Negotiating a Lateral Job Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:04 pm

Class of 2011 here. I was laid off several months ago and I'm pretty desperate at this point. I luckily managed to snag an offer from a small firm after a pretty harrowing job search. It pays $5k less than what I previously made, but I don't really have any options at this point. Plus, the paycut isn't really a dealbreaker to me anyways. However, the firm doesn't pay lockstep, so I don't think it'd be out of line for me to try and negotiate a higher offer.

My normal inclination is to negotiate, but I managed to get a job offer rescinded earlier in my search when I politely tried to negotiate. Everyone I asked (recruiters, other attorneys, colleagues) agrees that I did nothing wrong and that the incident was an anomaly, but that experience has kinda scared me off from risking my current offer.

Thoughts? :?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Negotiating a Lateral Job Offer?

Postby sparkytrainer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Negotiate when you have another offer. With just one, thats a big risk to take.

Return to “Legal Employment�