Salary Increase and Timing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jd1515

New

Salary Increase and Timing?

Postby Jd1515 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:43 pm

I started at a large (100+) regional office of a biglaw firm as a first year, and salary was set at a published rate for the first year. The firm is not lockstep. I'm now a second year and wondering how salary increases work. Will it be announced? Do I have to negotiate for it? Is there a cost of living adjustment? Google hasn't been helpful so far....

jkpolk

Silver

Re: Salary Increase and Timing?

Postby jkpolk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:46 pm

you should ask HR these questions as that is what HR is for

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Have you had your review yet? Might find out then. And yeah, ask HR. This would be like searching google for whether your firm pays bi-weekly or semi-monthly. . . the answer, in all likelihood, won't be there.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:31 pm

As others are suggesting, your firm's HR department (or other associates at your firm) are going to be the best source for you. I will note, however, that it's not uncommon for firms to wait until January 1 to bump up your class-year status. This kind of progression is typical in big law:

Oct. 16 - Dec. 16 (Stub-year status; paid as first-year associate)
Jan. 17 - Dec. 17 (First-year status; paid as first-year associate)
Jan. 18 - Dec. 18 (Second-year status; paid as second-year associate)

. . . and so on.

Return to “Legal Employment�