1 Page Limit for PI Resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1 Page Limit for PI Resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi all,

Is there a point at which it's okay for a PI resume to exceed 1 page? Or should you start cutting out some of your experience/education? If it's better to cut out, where do you start cutting, with the oldest? I'm a recent law school grad at my first job out of law school, but it's for a limited term so I've been applying for positions. I'm particularly interested in working at a nonprofit. At this point, I may be able to continue to fit my resume on 1 page, but I've been doing things like messing around with spacing/font size to make things work, and I'm not sure how much longer I can do that (or if it is the best option). Thanks for any helpful advice!

Nebby

Diamond

Re: 1 Page Limit for PI Resume?

Postby Nebby » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:29 pm

There's lots of places to cut. Cut down on the descriptions. Cut out non-legal experience. Cut out anything on the undergrad section unless you got honors. Cut out student organizations. Cut out any interest section.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:56 pm

Nebby wrote:There's lots of places to cut. Cut down on the descriptions. Cut out non-legal experience. Cut out anything on the undergrad section unless you got honors. Cut out student organizations. Cut out any interest section.

So to clarify, you are suggesting that the 1 page resume limit should be a hard limit even if an organization doesn't restrict it right?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Postby CaptainLeela » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Welcome to TLS

asaucyintruder

New

Postby asaucyintruder » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:16 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nebby wrote:There's lots of places to cut. Cut down on the descriptions. Cut out non-legal experience. Cut out anything on the undergrad section unless you got honors. Cut out student organizations. Cut out any interest section.

So to clarify, you are suggesting that the 1 page resume limit should be a hard limit even if an organization doesn't restrict it right?

yes. until you have at least a decade of position-relevant experience. based on what you've told us, there's absolutely no reason for your resume to be longer than 1 page.

I think this is actually even more true in PI than big law because almost all non-governmental places don't have an HR department reviewing your resume. It's supervising attorneys, so you want to keep things as concise and relevant as possible.

I worked in BigFed for a bit before law school, and I would just add one caveat: if you have to deal with USAJOBS, multiple-page resumes are strongly encouraged. Usually they'll tell you what their expectations are, though.

Return to “Legal Employment�